Dear Berkeley Journalism Community,
I want to express solidarity with our Asian and Asian American communities who have experienced a surge in unprovoked and violent attacks in recent months, fueled by the racist rhetoric from politicians blaming China for the Covid-19 pandemic.
We have a long and painful history of bias and xenophobia against Asians and Asian Americans, and this recent surge of hate crimes is the latest, totally unacceptable chapter in a shameful history.
President Biden took an important step in condemning violence against our Asian American Pacific Islander communities when he signed a memorandum last month. Chancellor Carol Christ, in a statement yesterday, expressed, “solidarity with and sympathy for all in our campus community and beyond who have been hurt, frightened and traumatized by these vile, racist incidents.”
On behalf of Berkeley Journalism, I join our national and campus leaders in expressing outrage at these attacks and stand in solidarity with our communities who are experiencing so much violence and pain.
For those who may be in need, here a few helpful resources shared by Chancellor Christ:
- For students, find where to get support and make a report.
- Asian Pacific American Student Development (APASD) offers advising and programming for Asian American, Pacific Islander, South Asian, Southwest Asian and North African (AA/PI/SSWANA) communities.
- CAPS for API Students is a resource listing counselors who specialize in working with AAPI students.
- Employee Assistance is available to any staff member who would like to talk to a counselor.
- Stop AAPI Hate tracks and responds to incidents of hate, violence, harassment, discrimination, shunning, and child bullying against Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders nationwide.
For our community members in need of support, please know you are not alone. I am always available, as is Tracy Pascua Dea, our head of student services, Jeremy Rue, our associate dean, Andrés Cediel, our head graduate advisor, and so many other members of the Berkeley Journalism community.
Dean and Professor
November 22, 2021
Photo: Wesaam Al-Badry (’20) November 22, 2021 Dear Berkeley Journalism Community, I write at a time of deeply felt gratitude. Gratitude for our extraordinary faculty, students and staff, all working…