About Alexis Martin
Contact Alexis Martin
- University of California, Berkeley, Graduate School of Journalism and International and Area Studies Department - Development
MA expected May 2009; MJ expected May 2009
- Graduate Student Researcher, UC Berkeley’s African American Studies Department, Berkeley, CA,
September 2006 - present
Provides research support for associate professor Dr. Stephen Small. Work includes researching society, population, race, economics, and poverty in Brazil for development of a Global Poverty Institute in Brazil and African American history in the United States.
- Freelance Editor, Berkeley, CA, September 2007 - present
Edits dissertations, theses, academic and literary work for students, professional writers, and others for whom English is a second language.
- Academic Fellow, Human Rights Watch, New York, NY, May 2007 - August 2007
Researched for the HIV/AIDS & Human Rights Program, the U.S. Counterterrorism Program and the Communications Department; wrote op-ed articles, news features, and website content for these programs; and developed new website features, which included conducting audio interviews and editing website text.
- HIV Prevention Outreach Worker, Common Ground, Santa Monica, CA, August 2005 - August 2006
Assisted in the coordination of the needle exchange program; administered HIV tests and offered counseling to predominately minority homeless and drug-addicted clients; presented HIV and drug informational sessions and provided resources and living supplies to same population; and maintained data tracking for needle exchange and HCT programs.
- Contributing Writer, Los Angeles Sentinel, Los Angeles, CA, March 2005 - December 2005
Developed and reported on stories relevant to the African American and African communities in Los Angeles, California, the nation, and the world. Also provided editing support. Published articles on topics such as: UN withdrawal from Sierra Leone, development strategies in Kenya, commentaries on media mishandling of Hurricane Katrina coverage, and African immigration in Geneva, Switzerland and Paris, France.
- Other Employment
June 1999- March 2005 - Writing Internship with Daily Bruin newspaper; fundraising for UCLA Alumni Association; political outreach and development for California Peace Action; office intern for Lew/Edwards Political Consultants of Oakland, CA
- ACADEMIC RESEARCH
Race and Poverty in Brazil
Underdevelopment in Northern Ghana
Civil War in Sierra Leone
Democracy in Haiti
(Abroad Research/Reporting experience in Brazil, Ghana, France and Switzerland)