October 12, 2003
The Heavenly Jukebox Cont'd

Tonight I went to a dinner party at some friend's house, and in between the cold dry sake and an obscene amount of yellow tail hamachi, there was more music than we knew what to do with. These are friends that until six months ago, had been sampling all sorts of free stuff on P2P networks. Not all of it was good or complete, but they buy a lot of CD's and wanted to try stuff out first, and they wanted the convenience of mixing up thousands of songs for days of play, or a few seconds as the case may be.

Anyway, tonight, we played around with Rhapsody which was totally great and lots of fun. And my friends are proving my point that if you make it easy, cool, give decent information about the music and make it cheap, people will abandon the free stuff for something much more professional. Sorting by artist, title, genre, album, play lists we made up, we streamed Thievery Corp, Gotan and Ladytron through the first course, and then went from cool jazz, to Chopin and Mozart for the second, and then we veered into Bah-bra and Barry Gibb, the GoGo's (who can resist skidmarks on my heart!), Supertramp, Artie Shaw, Radiohead, Elton John, Frank, Ben Folds Five (Kate!), Jon Cutler, the Replacements, for about three hours of dancing, everybody was in on it, clicking and sampling. There is also stuff you can't search for or directly stream, like the Beatles, on their "radio stations."

So one of them nailed it, when we turned it off to go out for dessert: "..so the question for America today is how will America get its music? I mean how will you get your ya-yas? You know, like go the good stuff to rock out to?" Okay, he was kinda baked, so it's overstated, but you get the point. He's not an IP junkie, he is a former musician and now at a BIG corporation, but he wants the stuff easily and he wants to pay something reasonable. So this is his question. And for him, $9.95 for Rhasody's content is almost there, so although he said they have a lot of cool old stuff, there's not as much new, he thinks it could be a lot better. But he was excited to try out new music they do have to see about buying it, or downloading, and he'd hooked it up wirelessly to all the other rooms from his main computer (every room has its own remote for that set of speakers, so it works well...).

So Rhapsody is almost there.

Now, if we could only make playlists and share them with others across our network within Rhapsody, mix things and send them to people, make our heavenly jukebox an expression of ourselves for others....

Posted by Mary Hodder at October 12, 2003 12:09 AM
Comments

I'm a big Rhapsody fan, although I think it would be the premier service if they offered single downloads without having to burn a CD first.

I just wanted to note that you can create a playlist in Rhapsody, save it, and email it or post it to the web for another Rhapsody user. You can see an example at Eric Maynard's site: http://www.emaynard.org/uselessmisc/archives/001560.html.

Jenny

Posted by: Jenny Levine on October 12, 2003 06:52 PM

I also want to note that you *can* post Rhapsody playlists to a blog. You can right-click in the playlist window and see the options to blog a track or the whole playlist. Blogger and Movable Type are supported.

Maybe you don't have the latest version of Rhapsody?

Posted by: Bryna on October 13, 2003 02:24 PM

Actually, I only used it Saturday night, and asked my friends who were new to it whether any of this was possible, and they said no. However, I'm signing up immediately to check it out myself. But beyond posting a playlist to a blog would be to have a network of others you recommend music to, and then be able to "send" them the music, arranged maybe, with comments, sort of like when I make mixed tapes for friends, to their Rhapsody account, so that they could just click on it and play it. Maybe that's what you mean by a blog post, so that if we both have Rhapsody, we then can click on each other's lists and it fires up the streaming music list as blogged? I want to make someone a special list, just for them, and send it... and write a note....

Posted by: mary hodder on October 13, 2003 05:02 PM

I like eMusic... although it's become somewhat less heavenly lately with limited downloading... for independents, it's the shiznit!

Posted by: joe on October 14, 2003 10:25 AM

Mary,

Yeah, I think you can do what you're asking with Rhapsody too. There's a send playlist button which opens up the email and attaches a the playlist to it. You can write a note to your friends in that email about the mix that's attached.

But I think you'll have to add in your friend's email addresses each time so the feature isn't super-fancy.

Emusic is shutting down as of last week I heard. Or at least they aren't offering unlimited downloads anymore.

Posted by: Bryna on October 14, 2003 11:23 AM

aren't yellowtail and hamachi the same thing?

Posted by: lauren on October 14, 2003 04:10 PM

yellowtail hamachi: says suchinyc.com: hamachi -- young yellowtail fish. rich and smoky-tasting ocean-going fish.

yes, they are the same, but hamachi is young yellowtail, verses other yellowtail that might just be used in straight cooked tuna dishes.

Posted by: mary hodder on October 14, 2003 06:19 PM

yes you can post Rhapsody playlists on websites (they just can't get too long).. i have tried this out at http://www.carintech.com/music/

Posted by: lepton on December 17, 2003 10:18 PM

I like Rhapsody so far but I'm not impressed with its interface as far as searching for stuff to listen to. With Napster or Kazaa I could find a song with only half the words in its title, and half of those spelled wrong. The wrong guesses were often as fun to download as the song I was looking for. And I could just click on a song I was downloading, or on a user downloading from me (note to self change name above to fake one) and see that persons entire catalog, What a cool way to find more stuff and really expand my listening habits.
Those features are a large part of how old napster and kazaa made it fun sitting in front of a computer to listen to music.
Hell, Rhapsody doesn't even have chat!
I know I'm not dealing directly with peers on Rhapsody, but I wouldn't mind my list (minus my name) being posted where any one could search it, if I could get access to those of others. Somesort of search engine to find people with similar (or perhaps dissimilar) tastes and see their lists would be needed of course.

Posted by: John Smith on March 29, 2004 01:46 PM

I'm hoping that last post was written in a sarcastic tone. Because Rhapsody's interface is one of its strongest points. Much more powerful than any of the other download services.

Type in a band name and you get a list of all of the bands they carry that are close. Click the View All button and you can see all of the band that match that they don't carry.

I don't know any other services that give you information on songs and albums that they don't carry. (And the list of "don't carry" songs is shrinking every day on Rhapsody.)

The lack of a forum or chat is a little alarming, but I'm hoping that other sites will spring up so we can exchange Rhapsody playlists.

Posted by: Bifferoo on April 23, 2004 11:29 AM