Producer Andrés Cediel joins visual journalism faculty
July 10, 2017
It's my pleasure to announce that after a nationwide search, Andrés Cediel been selected to join the School’s visual journalism faculty, following the retirement of Bob Calo.
Andrés has worked as a producer with the School's Investigative Reporting Program for five years, where he compiled a strong record of accomplishment in video journalism, teaching, and student mentorship. His extensive professional work includes serving as a producer on projects and collaborations with PBS “Frontline,” the Center for Investigative Reporting, Univision, KQED, NPR, ProPublica and the former international newsmagazine Frontline/WORLD.
He has reported from throughout the United States and abroad on stories ranging from human rights and climate change, death investigation, immigration and sexual assault.
"Rape in the Fields/Violacion de un Sueno," which Andres co-wrote and produced, "reached millions of people" and "inspired legislative action and criminal investigations," as Kathy Im, journalism and media director for the John D. And Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, recently wrote.
Andrés earned his Master in Journalism degree from the School in 2004 and his BA from Brown University in 1997. Since 2016, he has served as a faculty advisor to the National Association of Hispanic Journalists UC Berkeley Chapter.
This fall, Andrés will be teaching sections of J282, Introduction to Visual Journalism, and J285, Longform Video Reporting and Storytelling for second-year students, and will provide mentorship to second-year students as they begin work on their master’s projects.
We are thrilled to have Andrés join our faculty and look forward to his contributions.
Please take a moment to welcome him to our community in his new capacity here at the J-School.
Dean, Graduate School of Journalism
and Professor of Journalism
121 North Gate Hall #5860
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720-5860
Tel. (510) 642-5492
Website Unsocial Media
• Emmy Nomination for Outstanding Investigative Journalism “Rape on the Night Shift” (2016)
• Emmy Nomination for Outstanding Research “Rape on the Night Shift” (2016)
• Investigative Reporters and Editors (IRE) – Broadcast Award “Rape on the Night Shift”(2016)
• Society of Professional Journalists – Online Investigative Reporting “Rape on the Night
• Third Coast – Director’s Choice “Rape on the Night Shift” (2016)
• Emmy Nomination for Outstanding Investigative Journalism “Rape in the Fields” (2014)
• The Robert F. Kennedy Journalism Award – Grand Prize “Rape in the Fields” (2014)
• Alfred I. duPont-Columbia Award “Rape in the Fields” (2014)
• Goldsmith Prize for Investigative Reporting - Finalist “Rape in the Fields” (2014)
• Investigative Reporters and Editors (IRE) – Multiplatform Reporting “Post Mortem” (2012)
• Webby Award – News and Politics Series People’s Choice “Carbon Watch” (2010)
• Alfred I. duPont-Columbia Award “The Judge and the General” (2010)
• Emmy Nomination for Outstanding Historical Programming “The Judge and the General” (2010)