Journalism Jobs & Internships
Writer and Social Media Specialist
Berkeley Engineering seeks an energetic and collaborative Writer and Social Media Specialist to promote college initiatives, faculty research and stories that support the objectives and priorities of the College of Engineering. Reporting to the Assistant Dean of Marketing and Communications, the writer and social media specialist will independently and collaboratively research, write and edit accurate and engaging content for a broad audience. Subject matter includes engineering research, faculty or student profiles, events, award announcements and other strategic communications for print, digital, visual and broadcast/video channels. Content should highlight the college’s societal impact and leadership in engineering research and education.
Berkeley Engineering is recognized for its educational and research excellence, consistently ranking among the top three engineering colleges in the United States. With more than 230 regular faculty members and 5,000 students located in seven academic departments, engineering is the second largest college on the Berkeley campus. As part of College Relations, Marketing and Communications supports Berkeley Engineering’s core projects and programs through marketing, communications, events and fundraising efforts designed to reach more than 70,000 alumni, friends, students, foundations and corporate partners. For more information, visit: https://engineering.berkeley.edu.
DETAILSSALARY: Range $67,500 - $81,000; however, starting salary will be commensurate with experience. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
WORK SETTING: Office
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONSEssential Job Responsibilities
- Under minimal supervision, identifies, and creates compelling content that highlights the people and activities at the College of Engineering for a broad audience. This includes coverage of research and programmatic news, faculty profiles, awards, and events for internal and external audiences.
- Writes polished, accurate copy under tight deadlines for various publication platforms, including the College of Engineering’s website, social media channels, print magazine, and brochures.
- Tailors content to different audiences, including students, faculty, alumni, donors and external media.
- Manages multiple social media accounts for the college using best practices in communications.
- Develops and executes social media campaigns that engage target audiences and create a sense of community.
- Translates complex technical/scientific research into engaging content for a general audience.
- Proofreads and edits material submitted by colleagues, as needed, to enhance style and readability appropriate to the target audience.
- Collaborates with fellow Marketing and Communications team members to develop and execute long- and short-term strategic communications plans.
- Keeps abreast of news and trends relevant to engineering to help Berkeley Engineering be proactive in its communications.
- Bachelor’s degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training
- 4-6 years’ experience as a journalist, reporter, editor, public relations or media relations professional or equivalent experience/training
- Exceptional writing, editing, researching, and interviewing skills; knowledge of AP style a plus
- Proven ability to quickly and accurately translate complex, technical research into compelling stories for a general audience
- Excellent news judgment and knowledge of which platforms would be more appropriate for reaching specific audiences
- Strong organizational and analytical skills; ability to juggle multiple tasks and to work well under tight deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills and political acumen
- Proficient in software applications and other technology required for written, digital, social media, and visual communications. This includes the Microsoft Office Suite, Google Docs, TweetDeck and Hootsuite.
- A strong and nuanced knowledge of current affairs, developments in technology, and issues in higher education
- Knowledge of content management systems (Drupal and/or WordPress) and relevant tools used for web site production
- Experience using Adobe Creative Cloud apps, including Photoshop, InDesign and Dreamweaver
- Knowledge of college and campus protocols and channels for communication internally and externally
HOW TO APPLYDeadline:
How to Apply
All applicants need to go through the UC Berkeley jobs site to first create an account. To apply for the writer and social media specialist position, search for job ID #1971. There will be a link to apply at the end of the job description.
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
The first review date for this job is: 10/18/19