Journalism Jobs & Internships
writer and media relations rep
UC Berkeley’s Office of Communications and Public Affairs leads communications for the most elite public higher education institution in the world, conveying the quality, diversity, vitality, preeminence, and dedication to service of UC Berkeley. We reach diverse audiences and enhance relationships with constituents at all levels, including faculty, staff, students, alumni, donors, parents, visitors, the media, industry, research sponsors, educators, government leaders, and the general public. Our mission is to promote the University’s excellence in teaching, research, and public service, and inform stakeholders of our many contributions to the community — locally, nationally, and globally.
• Conceptualize, write and pitch timely and original news and enterprise stories for the Berkeley News and other communications platforms.
• Identify emerging trends and hot topics and generate creative, unique coverage ideas around them.
• Distill complex information quickly and accurately; possess strong research skills and an ability to write on deadline.
• Demonstrate good editing skills and a solid grasp of Associated Press Style.
• Multitask – be able to handle more than one project at a time.
• Collaborate with campus colleagues to plan for, cover and pitch major campus news events.
• Help devise communication and media relations strategies to gain high-visibility placements in print, radio, broadcast and online media.
• Deepen existing relationships with key media representatives and outlets and cultivate new contacts.
• Manage media inquiries and interview requests.
• Translate scholarly work into compelling narratives for academic and non-academic audiences.
• Interact respectfully and collaboratively with all internal and external sources necessary to successfully complete assignments.
• Independently develop sources and story ideas and continually expand knowledge of the campus community and media landscape.
• Assist in ad-hoc projects, as needed; other duties as assigned.
WORK SETTING: Office
CONTACT INFORoqua Montez
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONSRequired Qualifications • Ability to produce clear, concise and accurately written articles on deadline. • Advanced knowledge and proven expertise in media relations outreach and in cultivating key reporters, editors. • Demonstrated interviewing skills and a basic understanding of how to effectively use videography on mobile devices (cell phones, tablets, etc.) to help in reporting. • Strong analytical skills; outstanding oral communication and interpersonal skills. • Experience working with colleagues to identify great stories, design effective communications plans and package news for internal/external audiences. • Basic understanding of professional cameras, photography equipment, and editing software. • Team player attitude; ability to move quickly, take initiative and work cross-functionally. Education/Training: • Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, public relations or other related field- or equivalent writing and media relations experience. • 7+ years’ experience in journalism, communications or public relations with solid writing and editing experience.
HOW TO APPLYDeadline: July 23, 2019
Please review the complete job description and apply online here: https://jobsprod.is.berkeley.edu/psp/jobsprod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=27254&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1