Journalism Jobs & Internships
U. S. Strategic Communications and Outreach Internship
TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR INTERNSHIP
Organizational Unit: U. S. Strategic Communications and Outreach
UNHCR Washington, DC
Internships will be for 2-4 months for 20-40 hours per week.
Since 1950, UNHCR, the UN refugee agency, has helped tens of millions of people restart their
lives. Today, a staff of more than 10,000 people in 130 countries continues to help and protect
millions of refugees, returnees, internally displaced and stateless people. UNHCR provides
lifesaving assistance, protection, shelter, food, clean water, education and medical care to some
of the world’s most vulnerable. UNHCR also provides assistance to refugees who want to return
home when it is safe to do so, and helps integrate refugees within their local host country or
resettle to a third country when returning home is no longer an option. Non-governmental
organization (NGO) partners work with UNHCR around the globe to assist and protect refugees
and internally displaced people.
The U.S. Strategic Communications and Outreach team provides information on global refugee
crises and UNHCR’s role protecting and assisting refugees to U.S. and Caribbean media outlets
and engages U.S. audiences through strategic partnerships, digital outreach, campaigns,
exhibits and events.
Accountability (key results that will be achieved)
• Gain unique knowledge about UNHCR’s global role, capabilities, programs, and impact,
and the role of communications and outreach in achieving UNHCR’s mandate.
• Support staff with outreach, including media relations, digital media, multi-media
projects, events, exhibits and campaigns to ensure public support for refugees and
Responsibility (process and functions undertaken to achieve results)
• Assist with monitoring U.S. and Caribbean media covering UNHCR’s work, refugees,
asylum seekers, and humanitarian assistance;
• Research and respond to information requests from the general public;
• Assist in the preparation of multi-media projects, graphic design, digital media;
• Attend relevant external events and prepare summaries of content;
• Undertake other projects as needed to further assist the U.S. Strategic Communications
and Outreach team’s work.
Authority (decisions made in executing responsibilities and to achieve results)
• Work closely with the U.S. Strategic Communications and Outreach team and other
colleagues to ensure that projects are completed on time and inquiries are responded to
in a timely manner;
• Effectively manage time and priorities to meet all of the above responsibilities; and
• Identify special projects and goals to work toward over the course of the internship.
WORK SETTING: Office
CONTACT INFONatalie Strauber
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS• Possess an understanding of journalism, media relations and communications; • Demonstrated commitment or strong interest in international relations, refugee issues, and humanitarian response; • Superior command of the English language with excellent written and oral communication skills; • Proficiency in PowerPoint, Microsoft Word, Excel; social media and graphic design.
HOW TO APPLYDeadline: July 15, 2019
• Send a cover letter, curriculum vitae (resume) and writing sample to