Journalism Jobs & Internships
Researcher / Writer
An extraordinary opportunity to use research and writing skills to make a strong societal impact:Climate Central seeks an energetic junior-to-mid-level individual with significant expertise in desk research and exemplary writing skills to join our unique climate science research and communications team. Top candidates will have a demonstrated capacity to extract key insights from a variety of sources and to produce clear and compelling language describing those insights. Working closely with our data analysts and other team members, the researcher/writer will serve as lead author of brief research reports, backgrounders, and similar materials that distill information on climate science, impacts, and solutions. Over time, the researcher/writer, who will report to our Director of Communications, will become responsible for managing cross-organizational projects, planning and tracking their progress and ensuring that their components are delivered successfully.
Climate Central is a respected non-advocacy, non-profit organization that works to reach large and significant audiences using a wide variety of tools. Current initiatives include Climate Matters, which each week provides a network of more than 500 local TV meteorologists with data and broadcast-quality graphics about linkages between weather events and climate change; the program has recently expanded to include local journalists and news directors through the Climate Matters in the Newsroom. Through our Partnerships Journalism program, we partner with local news outlets to produce science-based feature stories. Climate Central’s work on sea level rise is advancing the local accuracy of global sea level rise threat assessments, researching the intersection of social and physical vulnerability on U.S. coast, and pioneering a new generation of online tools. The researcher/writer’s work will touch on all areas of Climate Central’s activities.
Climate Central’s highly interdisciplinary work is conducted by a team whose backgrounds include physical, natural and social sciences, data analysis, journalism, graphic design, web production and other fields.
- Serve as principal researcher/writer of products as assigned
- Over time, take on responsibility for planning and managing cross-organizational research projects
- Coordinate with our graphics, social media, and web production team to achieve timely completion of products
- Conduct background research to support journalism team
- Propose and pursue ideas for reports, backgrounders, etc.
WORK SETTING: Office
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONSRequired Qualifications:
- Exemplary writing and research skills, including significant experience in writing about data-heavy science topics for lay audiences
- MA or similar degree in a relevant field, or BA plus at least 3 years of relevant experience
- Familiarity with climate issues, and the ability to comfortably work with data, are distinct advantages
- Self-starter and independent worker also able to take direction and work in a small team
- Highly detail-oriented
- Experience of, or capacity for, project management
- A highly collegial attitude is essential
HOW TO APPLYDeadline:
Please send your cover letter including salary expectations; your resume; a writing sample of no more than 3 pages (may be an excerpt of a longer document) that has not been edited by anyone other than yourself; and contact information for three references familiar with your work, to email@example.com with the exact subject line, “Researcher/Writer” (no quotes). Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, Climate Central is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate. The search will close when a successful candidate is recruited.