Research Writer (PR Coordinator)
PR Coordinator (Research Writer)
The College of Arts & Sciences at Georgia State University seeks an experienced research news and features writer. The role requires the ability to identify and write stories about complex research in a broad range of scientific disciplines such as biology, chemistry, physics, neuroscience, etc., as well as an interest in and ability to cover social sciences and humanities research.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate an ability to understand and translate a broad range of research topics for lay audiences including news media, alumni, donors, community partners, peer institutions, current and prospective students and others. Additionally, the ideal candidate should be comfortable in a fast-paced environment and demonstrate a deep attention to detail, excellent time management skills and an enthusiasm to continuously learn about new areas of research of our faculty whose work spans the Humanities, Natural and Computational Sciences, and Social and Behavioral Sciences.
The scope of responsibility will include these specific duties but is not limited to the following,
- Proactively seeking out information on research discoveries and working independently to translate into news items.
- Collaborating with faculty and staff to stay up to date on pending grants and to prepare news releases as necessary.
- Translating complex concepts and into compelling, well-written and understandable content for a variety of audiences and digital platforms (for news releases, media pitches, researcher profiles, magazine-style feature stories, infographics etc.) while preserving accuracy and context.
- Collaborating on the development of web and social media assets to support storytelling about research findings.
- Assisting with media outreach as necessary.
DETAILSSALARY: $42,205 - $63,599
WORK SETTING: Office
CONTACT INFOAnna Varela
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Master’s degree in journalism, communications, related fields, or in a research-related field, or equivalent experience.
- Experience working at a research university to promote a wide range of research.
- Associated Press style writing and editing skills.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience
- Ability to understand complicated research and discoveries and ability to interact regularly with accomplished researchers and faculty in a wide range of disciplines in the Humanities, Natural and Computational Science,and Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Comfort writing in a range of styles, including news releases, profiles and features, as well as collaborating on the creation of social-only content about researchers and their work
- Willingness and ability to learn new fields quickly
- Ability to manage multiple projects on tight deadlines
- Ability to independently seek out information on scientific and other research discoveries
- Working knowledge of WordPress or similar content management system as well as knowledge of a variety of social media platforms
- Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
HOW TO APPLYDeadline: June 24, 2019
To be fully considered for this position all candidates at the time of submission must provide the following documents:
- A complete and accurate Georgia State University application submitted here
- Cover Letter