Journalism Jobs & Internships
Reporter, Emissions Markets and Policy Reporter
Argus is a fast-growing global media company providing essential information to the commodities industries. Argus benchmarks are used globally throughout the energy sector for formula pricing in contracts, as a taxation reference, in investment planning and for a variety of other purposes.
The Emissions Markets and Policy Reporter will cover west coast environmental markets and policy coverage for the company’s market intelligence reports and online news service. The successful candidate will report to the editor of Argus Air Daily. The ideal candidate will have experience as a journalist covering commodities or energy/environmental policy. The applicant must be innately curious and personable, able quickly to become a subject matter expert who can lead coverage within a designated product portfolio. Some travel will be required.
- Writing market commentary and news stories while adhering to strict deadlines.
- Assessing environmental market prices (California Carbon Allowances, California and Oregon low-carbon fuel standard credits) by collecting data and adhering to rigorous compliance standards.
- Developing and maintaining rapport with key contacts and liaising regularly with industry stakeholders (buyers, sellers, traders, brokers) to gain environmental market intelligence.
- Interviewing government leaders and subject matter experts to research trends and evaluate potential topics.
- Synthesizing complex information quickly.
- Maintaining existing databases and developing new ones for designated products.
- Developing new contacts and establishing relationships in the market.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- The legal authorization to work in the US for any US employer.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, economics, business or related field. A Master’s degree is preferred.
- A commitment to the highest level of accuracy and the ability to complete all writing assignments within established deadlines.
- Experience covering physical energy markets preferred.
- Knowledge of energy and environmental issues.
- Experience with Microsoft Office (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
- The willingness and ability to travel up to 10% of the time to fulfill the responsibilities of this position.
Argus is an independent media organisation with almost 1,000 staff. It is headquartered in London and has 23 offices in the world’s principal commodity trading and production centres. Argus produces price assessments and analysis of international energy and other commodity markets and offers bespoke consulting services and industry-leading conferences.
Companies in 140 countries around the world use Argus data to index physical trade and as benchmarks in financial derivative markets as well as for analysis and planning purposes.
Argus was founded in 1970 and is a privately held UK-registered company. It is owned by employee shareholders and global growth equity firm General Atlantic.
- Competitive salary
- Group medical, dental and vision plans
- Company paid long term disability and life insurance plan
- Group 401(k) safe harbor retirement plan with a 6% company match
- 15 vacation days your first year, which increases up to 25 days
- Subsidized gym membership
- Extensive internal and external training
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
WORK SETTING: Office
CONTACT INFOTaylor O'Hara