Journalism Jobs & Internships
Online Producer & General Assignment Reporter
The Online Producer/General Assignment Reporter is responsible for implementing the online and social media strategy for the Alaska Public Media newsroom and for producing quick turn and breaking news stories for all platforms on a regular basis. This is an exciting, fast-paced position for someone who lives for great Alaska stories and wants to see those stories reach the widest audience possible.
Alaska Public Media is the source of NPR radio, PBS television for Southcentral Alaska and is the steward of the statewide news service. The Online Producer/General Assignment Reporter will uphold the highest journalistic standards and ethics and work professionally with Alaska Public Media colleagues and the public.
The Online Producer/General Assignment Reporter will:
- Read and publish stories generated at Alaska Public Media, paying close attention to copy editing, sharp headlines, good images and social media share lines.
- Monitor stories coming in from member stations throughout the day, post stories that likely have a particular interest to a statewide audience.
- Respond quickly to breaking news both online and for radio, by either writing a story/reader or reading, posting, and socialing the work of a reporter.
- Alaska Morning News backup for vacation relief for the statewide morning news reporter/producer.
- Schedule story and program posts for Facebook and Twitter, write engaging sharelines and make the content likely to interest the widest audience available at a time when analytics show the audience is largest.
- Monitor Chartbeat and Google Analytics constantly to develop a sense of our audience, its interests and habits. Use the tools to grow audience on a daily basis.
- Participate in special coverage for things like elections and Iditarod
For a full job description, go to www.alaskapublic.org/careers
You may apply online or send cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Alaska Public Media is EOE
DETAILSSALARY: $40,000 - $43,000 Annually
WORK SETTING: Office
CONTACT INFOPatsy Parker
907 550 8414
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONSRequired Qualifications:
- 3 to 5 years of experience working in a newsroom or reporting/web posting experience for a media company.
- Demonstrated ability to work collegially with multiple stakeholders and audiences.
- Familiarity with WordPress
- Training in AP Style
- Experience with Chartbeat and/or Google Analytics
- Skill in on-air performance and audio production.
- Understanding reporting (writing, photography, video) for Web.
- Competency in broadcasting operations and editing (audio, video, photo) software.
HOW TO APPLYDeadline: February 15, 2020
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org