Managing Director/Fair Warning
FairWarning (www.fairwarning.org), a nonprofit investigative news organization based in Southern California, is looking for a new Managing Director to grow and diversify our funding base, in order to increase the size and impact of the organization.
FairWarning and its small, dedicated staff produce deeply reported stories that are published on our website and in print, online and broadcast news outlets across the country. Now in its 10th year, FairWarning focuses on public health, consumer, workplace and environmental issues, and related topics of government and business accountability,
The Managing Director will be responsible for fundraising, promotional and administrative tasks. But first and foremost, this is a hands-on, in-the-trenches fundraising position. We’re looking for a dynamic development professional who shares our sense of mission, and has the energy, experience and skills to maintain our existing donor base and attract new funders.
This is not an editorial position, but a background in journalism is preferred. Preference will also go to candidates who live in Southern California or could relocate here.
The Managing Director will:
• Formulate and execute a plan to significantly grow and diversify a sustainable funding base,
including support from individuals and foundations.
• Strengthen and cultivate new relationships with people and organizations in the journalism and philanthropic communities.
• Publicize and raise the profile of FairWarning, in order to attract new readers and donors and increase awareness of our mission and activities.
• Work with the board of directors to meet annual fundraising goals.
• Work with the board and editorial staff in preparing a budget, and operating within budget guidelines.
WORK SETTING: Office