Journalism Jobs & Internships
If you’re a passionate, resilient, curious, creative, responsible journalist — and eager to help build a local news business unlike any other — Patch could be the place for you to make your mark. Ideal candidates for a Patch job are dogged reporters, sharp storytellers, and savvy practitioners of digital media who bring an entrepreneurial mindset to their work.
We’re one of the top 100 most-read websites in the U.S., and we’re looking for a journalist to cover the towns of Pleasanton, Dublin, Livermore, Danville, San Ramon and Santa Cruz County.
On a daily basis, our staffers:
- spot scoops, break stories and report them out in real time
- write headlines; select photos; report original news; aggregate/curate local news of interest
- work collaboratively with colleagues and independently when necessary
- organize their local home pages and newsletters according to best practices
- run Patch-branded social media channels
- engage with a loyal readership (a quarter of a million new subscribers have joined us in the last 6 months)
- study Google Analytics and other metrics to monitor performance and improve tactics
- use digital tools, such as CrowdTangle and Dataminr, to keep tabs on local happenings and organizations
Patch’s recent growth has been covered in the Wall St. Journal, New York Times, Ad Age, Adweek, Digiday, MediaPost, StreetFight Mag and other industry press. Patch local coverage is available through our platform, our app, and our news distribution partners, including Yahoo News, Amazon Alexa, CBS Local, MSN, Aol, Apple News and Flipboard. Patch journalists participate in ProPublica’s Electionland and Documenting Hate initiatives.
We offer a competitive benefits package, as well as a crew of smart, witty, helpful colleagues. If you’re interested in a full-time job with us, email a cover letter, resume and links to your work to our California managing editor, Autumn Johnson, at email@example.com.
WORK SETTING: Remote
CONTACT INFOAutumn Johnson
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONSPreferred local editor candidates are:
- passionate about community journalism and breaking news
- able to write quick, clean copy and strong narratives
- enthusiastic, competitive and driven to produce quality work
- capable of turning out a clever, smart headline on the fly
- thrive in a goal-oriented environment
- savvy about social media and SEO
- eager to learn