Journalism Jobs & Internships
Lee Ester News Fellow
Lee Ester News Fellowship
Wisconsin Public Radio is accepting applications for the annual Lee Ester News Fellowship based in Madison, Wisconsin. The Lee Ester News Fellow will be a promising early-career journalist interested in deepening his or her experience and skills in news radio broadcasting. This paid internship will be a full-time appointment for nine months. Concentrated coaching and feedback on writing, editing, voicing and other aspects of radio news reporting are important elements of this fellowship.
Wisconsin Public Radio consists of two state-wide program streams – talk and music – on 37 stations. WPR’s award-winning news department, with staff members in Madison and around the state, consists of seasoned professionals who will assist in providing developmental opportunities and feedback. Please see complete posting at https://www.wpr.org/lee-ester-news-fellow . Betsy Nelson, 821 University Avenue, Madison, WI 53706. 608-262-5221, firstname.lastname@example.org. EOE
DETAILSSALARY: $2,916 per month
WORK SETTING: Office
CONTACT INFOBetsy Nelson
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONSMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Previous broadcast news internship or professional experience
- Demonstrated ability to generate news story ideas
- Some experience producing or re-purposing news material for the web.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to operate radio production equipment including control board, ISDN telephone system, and Audio Vault (or similar) production system.
- Previous public radio experience
HOW TO APPLYDeadline: April 26, 2019
HOW TO APPLY: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; however, for best consideration, please apply through www.careers.wisconsin.edu by 4/26/19. If you are a current UW System employee use http://bit.ly/2n9AibS. This is job # 15418. Applications must include a detailed resume; a 1-2 page letter explaining how you meet the qualifications and why this fellowship meets your career development needs; a list of four professional references with contact information including. In addition, submit work samples as described below
- A sound sample of a news report. You may provide a link (preferred) or an mp3 file. If you don’t have samples from previous work, you may create a report specifically for this application.
- Two to three samples of radio news scripts you have prepared. If you don’t have examples from previous work, you may create scripts specifically for this application.
Questions? Contact Betsy Nelson, Wisconsin Public Radio, 821 University Avenue, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, 608-262-5221; email@example.com.