Kiva Marketing Internships
Kiva (www.Kiva.org) is the world’s first and largest online microfinance lending platform with a mission to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty. We work at the intersection of technology, business and impact. In just 13 years, Kiva has raised over $1 billion in loan capital for nearly 2 million borrowers in over 85 countries…and we’re just getting started.
With offices in San Francisco, Nairobi, New York, Bangkok, and Portland, Kiva’s team has 100+ employees and 300+ volunteers worldwide. Kiva combines the culture and approach of an Internet start-up with an intense focus on serving the borrower-to-lender connection our platform helps facilitate.
Since its founding, volunteerism has been an integral part of Kiva’s foundation and success. As a Kiva Intern, you will contribute your passion, drive, ideas, and expertise to expanding our reach and impact while taking on immediate and significant responsibilities within your team. In addition to learning on the job, you’ll partake in a variety of educational, social, and professional development workshops and events that will accelerate your professional growth while learning about Kiva and the non-profit, technology, and microfinance sectors.
Kiva Internships are part-time, unpaid positions. These positions are located in our San Francisco, CA office.
Kiva is currently hiring for our July 10, 2018 – February 1, 2019 Internship Class
With two classes each year, Kiva hires over thirty part-time interns to be placed within most departments of the organization. While hiring for internship roles, we evaluate your application and interests to match you to a specific team that will leverage your talents while providing you with an opportunity to develop and grow.
Although Kiva Interns range in age and experience, a common theme among our participants is a “can do” attitude as well as a desire and willingness to dive in and get their hands dirty.
The Marketing Team
Kiva’s Marketing and Communications team oversees messaging with current and future lenders, as well as US entrepreneurs and partners on the ground. Our job is to collect content from the field, package that in a compelling way, and distribute it to external audiences to ultimately get them excited about the work we’re doing. We use a variety of channels to reach our audiences, including email, advertising, social media, influencers, and our website.
Marketing interns have the opportunity to be placed in one of the following roles:
- Digital Marketing: responsible for playing a key role in shaping messaging and engagement with Kiva’s community of over 1.5 million lenders.
- Partnerships and Content Marketing: responsible for playing a critical role in creating messaging to describe partners, promoting them to current and existing lenders, and attracting attention to the services and innovative loan products they are providing to Kiva borrowers.
- Affinity Marketing (Global Engagement): responsible for being on the front lines of finding fantastic new people, influencers, networks and partnerships for Kiva, and supporting and cultivating these relationships to see what we can accomplish together.
- Social Media Marketing: responsible for maximizing Kiva’s relationship with lenders by tailoring social media content and ads to target specific audiences.
- Professional development workshops
- Casual, dog-friendly office
- Access to Kiva’s network of Kiva Internship Alumni
- Free snacks, drinks, and donuts
- Optional participation in Kiva social activities, including:
- Athletic club teams
- Movie and game nights
- Happy hours
- References gladly given for successful participants
- Modest transportation stipend of $80/month for the duration of the internship (disbursed on a monthly basis), to help offset costs associated with traveling to/from the office
The weekly time commitment for a Kiva Internship is a minimum of 3 days per week, from July 10, 2018 – February 1, 2019. Please make sure you have the availability to commit three days per week for the entire internship period before submitting an application.
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva’s culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
DETAILSSALARY: Modest transportation stipend of $80/month for the duration of the internship (disbursed on a monthly basis), to help offset costs associated with traveling to/from the office
WORK SETTING: Office
CONTACT INFOIntern Program Manager
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Must be 21 years of age or older by July 10, 2018
- Excellent writing skills (we will be asking for a writing sample during the selection process)
- Highly organized with an aptitude for working in a startup environment
- Proactive, collaborative and takes initiative to work on multiple projects
- Doer: the type of person who can take an idea or project and run with it
- Strong attention to detail
- Proficient in social media platforms: Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter
- Background in writing and creating marketing content
- Experience with Photoshop or other photo editing software
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) and Google Apps
- Well-informed about Kiva and microfinance with a strong interest in global development
- Familiar with HTML and CSS (or interest in learning)
HOW TO APPLYDeadline: May 13, 2018
How to Apply:
Visit www.kiva.org/work-with-us/internvolunteers to learn more about our program.
You can view the full job descriptions and fill out an application here
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org