Journalism Jobs & Internships
K-12 Education Reporter
EdSurge, a leading education and technology media organization, is looking for a savvy, experienced reporter who is passionate about the people and ideas that shape K-12 education. The reporter will cover the growing community of education entrepreneurs, educators and the students they serve. The ideal candidate will feel equally energized about reporting on big technology companies (think Google, Amazon, etc) and schools and classrooms.
This is a unique opportunity to cover K-12 education at a national level, with support and latitude to pursue original stories and ideas. We welcome creative, confident and concise reporters who can communicate complex ideas to our audience. Not every story is best told in words; sometimes charts and graphs do a better job. (And yes, a touch of humor helps, too!)
You’re the kind of person who wonders:
- What technologies and tools will learners use in the future?
- How are schools changing?
- What’s really working? What’s not? Where is this rapidly evolving industry headed?
- What’s the deal with “personalized learning,” anyway?
In this job you will:
- Cover daily news and announcements.
- Own a beat (or two) within K-12 reporting.
- Research and produce original features.
- Rock deadlines.
- Assist in the creation of weekly newsletters, podcasts and other media.
- Develop new ways to grow our online audience.
- Travel to and report from schools, districts and conferences.
Exceptional journalists with a nose for finding and developing great education stories are encouraged to apply. This is a full-time position with benefits, including support for professional development and training opportunities. We believe in helping people be their best selves.
EdSurge is based in Burlingame and Oakland in California (both offices are public transit-friendly). Local candidates preferred but we will consider strong remote candidates.
EdSurge is a high growth, venture-backed news and media organization that’s at the heart of the rapidly growing education technology ecosystem. We care deeply about our mission to provide news, research and other resources that help readers understand the role of technology in education. Our team is high energy, tight-knit and loves great reads, silly puns and giphys.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
DETAILSSALARY: Competitive and negotiable
WORK SETTING: Office, Remote
CONTACT INFOTony Wan
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONSWhat makes you a great fit for this role:
- 2+ years of professional reporting experience for a media outlet.
- An instinct for asking good questions and a demonstrated ability to write both short-form stories and longer features.
- Comfortable, eager and willing to learn about new approaches to visual and multimedia journalism.
- A passion for education and learning—and curiosity about the role technology is playing.
- Outstanding writing chops.
- Ability to work independently under deadlines with minimal guidance.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and the ability to collaborate within a digital workflow.
- Experience with different social media platforms.
- Broad understanding of major education issues.
- Basic understanding of business and finance.
HOW TO APPLYDeadline: August 31, 2018
To apply: Please submit a resume, cover letter and writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org