Journalism Jobs & Internships
Intern, California Magazine
California Magazine is seeking two, full-time interns to work on its award-winning quarterly publication and daily news website starting in early January 2018. Our interns typically gain a solid understanding of magazine production, with experience in researching, writing, editing, and fact-checking articles that cover the critical challenges affecting the state, nation, and world. In addition, they get experience in reporting and producing breaking news and features for our website, which posts daily original content, and promoting it through social media channels. Past interns have gone on to write for such publications as the Atlantic, New York Times, Mother Jones, Buzzfeed, Wired, and Nature, among others.
You should be prepared to track down hard-to-find information, juggle deadlines, and take on a variety of journalistic challenges. Please visit our website at www.californiamag.org to view recent issues and web-exclusive content.
- Write short science articles about research at UC Berkeley as well as sidebar stories to accompany features.
- Pitch, report, and write news and feature articles for California Online.
- Attend weekly editorial meetings to evaluate and offer detailed critiques of articles submitted to the magazine and pitch web and magazine ideas. Participate in planning future coverage.
- Fact-check articles: Call sources, locate primary source documents, and evaluate sources while working closely with the story editors and writers.
- Chase down photo leads and/or shoot photographs, assemble, and prepare photos and artwork for layout.
- Assist the editors with other duties, including page proofing, in order to ensure the timely and smooth production of the magazine.
- Finding and using the best possible promotion channels on social media sites, such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Reddit.
The internship lasts three months and pays a monthly stipend of $800.
WORK SETTING: Office
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONSSuccessful candidates will be inquisitive, well-informed college graduates pursuing careers in journalism and publishing, with excellent critical thinking, reporting, writing, and editing skills; good computer skills; social media expertise; and the ability to work well both cooperatively and independently. Knowledge of UC Berkeley and previous journalism experience preferred.
HOW TO APPLYDeadline: December 15, 2017
No phone calls, please. Send your resume, cover letter, and three writing samples (non-academic preferred) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “editorial intern” in the subject line.