Journalism Jobs & Internships
Berkeley Media Studies Group is seeking part-time interns to assist with news analysis projects.
The interns’ main responsibilities will be to read and analyze news articles as part of studies examining how different public health issues appear in the news. Projects will likely include analyzing news stories about gun violence (including community violence, domestic violence, and suicide/self-harm), and about how nurses and other healthcare professionals appear in the news. Interns will receive training on qualitative and quantitative content analysis methodologies, including how to analyze news articles for content analyses, and procedures for establishing inter-coder reliability.
Depending on the interns’ interest and availability, interns could also assist with other elements of the news analysis process, including creating customized databases for data entry and conducting data analysis.
We are looking for interns who can commit to 10-20 hours/week for 3 months (with the possibility of extension). This position will involve systematically analyzing news articles and entering data into databases, and successful interns will be highly organized and capable of strong attention to detail.
Our office is located in downtown Berkeley half a block from the UC Berkeley campus.
DETAILSSALARY: Compensation will be determined according to the current hourly rate established by the Public Health Institute for interns.
WORK SETTING: Office
CONTACT INFOSarah Han
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
- A high school diploma is required. Currently enrolled in Bachelor’s or graduate degree program required.
- Enthusiasm for public health, media and communications issues.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Experience with qualitative research, content analysis, and coding is a plus.
- Spanish-language ability is a plus.
- Proficiency with doing basic descriptive data analysis and generating charts in Excel, or working with relational databases (such as Filemaker) is a plus.
- Work-study eligibility is preferred.
- People of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLYDeadline: October 12, 2017
Complete the application on the PHI employment site.