Discover where your talent fits best at ALM…
At ALM, we’re reinventing the way professionals use information, news, data, marketing solutions and events to manage the business of business. That requires creativity, collaboration and innovation. Headquartered in New York City with 18 offices worldwide, ALM brands have been serving their markets since 1843. Join our team of talented ALMers working to create exceptional experience for our audiences and customers across the globe.
ABOUT THE TEAM: The In-House Desk at ALM is in charge of covering one of the most interesting and important beats for the future of the legal industry: corporate law departments and the general counsel who run them. Reporters on the desk have the opportunity to delve into some of the big business and legal issues affecting these attorneys today. We are a collegial and enthusiastic group of reporters spread across the country, and we are determined to find out what makes in-house lawyers tick. Reporters on the desk write both web stories and feature-length content for Corporate Counsel, ALM’s magazine for in-house legal.
ABOUT THE JOB: This reporter will cover corporate legal departments with a strong focus on Silicon Valley and Big Tech. With social media giants like Facebook and Twitter and multi-industry companies like Uber and Alphabet becoming corporate leaders, in-house counsel around the world are looking at how Silicon Valley’s legal departments handle matters from data privacy to diversity and inclusion. Silicon Valley coverage will even expand to other tech clusters like Seattle, where Amazon.com and Microsoft are based; Silicon Prairie in the Midwest, Silicon Hill in Texas, and Silicon Beach in Los Angeles. This is an exciting, forward-looking beat, and one that is very important both to ALM and our readers.
In addition to what’s outlined above, there will be opportunities to write about general counsel career development and international issues, as we are working on expanding coverage in both these areas. This is not a position for a courts reporter, though on some rare occasions, the reporter might be asked to write about litigation, particularly if an in-house counsel is prominently involved with a case. The job will be based in San Francisco and be supervised by the in-house editor in Los Angeles.
WORK SETTING: Office, Remote
CONTACT INFOKibby Araya
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONSResponsibilities
- Must have the ability to juggle a stream of daily stories on tight deadlines with long-term features, while also scoring scoops on the beat. The expectation is that the reporter will produce at least one story per day, preferably more, while also working on enterprise stories for our magazine.
- Develop relationships with in-house lawyers and other important players in the legal world. Legal departments can be protective of their privacy, so this reporter will have to be skilled at seeking out and cultivating good sources.
- Conduct in-person and telephone interviews with sources, traveling occasionally, as needed.
- Produce breaking news stories under real-time deadline pressure, ensuring they are clear and comprehensive.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ideally will have at least 3-5 years of legal and/or business journalism experience, but new grads welcome.
- Must have a degree in journalism or communications.
- Must be able to write clearly, engagingly and authoritatively—and on deadline.
- Must be able to establish and nurture relationships with key contacts at companies and in the legal industry.
- Strong reporting and writing skills are a must. Knowledge of current AP style is required. Proficiency with social media preferred.
- Must be versatile and able to work as a team player with reporters located around the country on the in-house desk and other ALM desks.
- Must be capable of writing quickly and able to juggle assignments
- Must be able to write multiple stories in a day if nececssary
- Generous Benefit Plans for Medical, Vision & Dental Coverage
- 401(K) Plan With Match
- Paid Time Off (Vacation, Personal Days & Sick Days)
- Summer Fridays – Early Office Closure
- 10-12 Paid Holidays Per Year
- Health Savings Account
- Flexible Spending Accounts for Dependent Care & Medical Expenses
- Parental Leave
- Career Development Learning & Training Opportunities
- Educational Assistance
- Employee Referral Bonus
- Employee Recognition Awards
- Short-term & Long-term Disability Coverage
- Corporate Discounts Including Gym Memberships, Gift Certificates, Sporting Events, Movie Tickets
- Flexible Work Schedules
HOW TO APPLYDeadline: February 28, 2020
Please take a look at our website. The in-house desk reporter will write for Corporate Counsel, a digital and print brand under Law.com focused on covering the in-house counsel community. If interested, send your resume and best clips to editor Kibby Araya at email@example.com. We plan to fill the position by March, so we welcome recent graduates to apply.