Journalism Jobs & Internships
Higher Education Reporter
What will colleges look like in the future? How will they evolve to meet the diverse needs of learners from all ages and backgrounds? And how much will these efforts cost?
These are just a few of the big questions that drive EdSurge’s reporting on the people, ideas and tools that are shaping higher education. We’re looking for a versatile reporter who will help direct our coverage of academic innovators (professors, administrators and entrepreneurs) and the students they aim to serve. This means connecting big ideas (think predictive analytics and artificial intelligence) to their impact on teaching and learning—and in some cases restructuring college as we know it.
This reporter will possess an obsessive interest in the news, conversations and changes happening in higher education. The ideal candidate will write, edit, speak and explore other creative ways to tell stories.
You’re the kind of person who wonders:
- How are higher-ed institutions changing to support teaching and learning?
- What new instructional models are working to meet the needs of increasingly diverse learners?
- How does technology shape the work of administrators, faculty and students?
- What roles do companies, funders and other private-sector stakeholders play in higher education? What should colleges and professors know?
In this job you will:
- Keep a daily pulse on higher education news.
- Find, pitch and report weekly stories and cover breaking news and announcements.
- Help coordinate EdSurge Next, our weekly newsletter aimed at college administrators and professors.
- Recruit and manage relationships with contributing writers.
- Edit articles from staff and contributing writers.
- Travel to, speak at, report on and represent EdSurge at meetups, conferences and other events.
This is a full-time position with benefits, including support for professional development and training opportunities as part of a small, passionate team. We believe in helping people be their best selves.
EdSurge is based in Burlingame and Oakland in California (both offices are public transit-friendly). Local candidates are preferred, but we will consider strong remote candidates. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
WORK SETTING: Office, Remote, Varies
CONTACT INFOTony Wan
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
- 2+ years of professional writing experience for a news outlet.
- Outstanding reporting and writing chops.
- Clean copy
- A passion for learning—and a curiosity about the role technology plays in education and society.
- Great organization and management skills.
- Ability to work under deadlines with minimal guidance.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and flexibility to work collaboratively across teams.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects at once, including gathering and reporting analytics for stories and story packages.
- Audio editing skills are a plus.