GA Reporter and Host
KTOO is looking for a curious and talented journalist to work as a general assignment reporter and afternoon news host for our newsroom in Juneau, Alaska. Your job will be to make sure our flagship local newscasts are timely and accurate and that we sound professional — seamlessly transitioning between national and local content.
As a reporter, you should be able to keep up with daily regional news stories on deadline while working away on longer, enterprise reporting. You’ll be expected to serve a local listening audience with news of local and regional importance and to also file relevant stories with the statewide public radio network.
Even though the position is for a general assignment, you will help create a “mini-beat” or focus area for your reporting that fits within the mission and goals of the newsroom with help from the Managing Editor.
This position reports to the Managing Editor and works closely with the Daily News Editor and other reporters to identify and develop story ideas.
We’re especially looking for someone with enthusiasm for local news and a passion for reporting on traditionally underrepresented communities. Get in touch if that sounds like you!
Full post is here: https://www.ktoo.org/job-opportunities/news-reporter-and-host/
DETAILSSALARY: Depends on experience, but starting in the high $40k’s. Plus competitive benefits including paid health insurance, retirement plan, paid leave and holidays.
CONTACT INFOJennifer Pemberton
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONSRESPONSIBILITIES:
- Produce news stories for radio and web
- Package and deliver daily newscasts during All Things Considered, then post to the web and NPR One
- Record and edit audio for daily broadcast, especially using field recording equipment, but also using studio and telephone recording equipment
- Write engaging news stories for KTOO.org — including thoughtful headlines and social media share lines
- Seek out diverse sources for news stories, striving to put voices and perspectives on the air that our audience has never heard from or would not hear from otherwise
- Collaborate with the news team on special reporting series and podcasts
- Serve as a back-up host for KTOO’s Morning Edition
- At least 2 years of experience working in a newsroom, producing content on deadline
- Familiarity and comfort with using broadcast equipment and live delivery of news
- Confidence in your own voice and in being yourself on the radio
- Excellent writing skills, proven news judgment, and journalistic integrity
- Experience reporting on traditionally underrepresented communities
- Enthusiasm for local news
- Demonstrated strategic thinking about news priorities and pulling together a newscast
- Ability to operate a board and stay calm under pressure when technology fails, plus a willingness to learn new equipment and operations
HOW TO APPLYDeadline:
Apply online at https://www.ktoo.org/job-opportunities/apply-online/