The John S. Knight (JSK) Journalism Fellowships is an international program at Stanford University that champions innovators and entrepreneurs as they reinvent journalism.
Reporting to the managing director, editorial and operations, the engagement editor will manage the fellowship program’s social media channels and lead efforts to tell the story of the program’s work based on four themes that define its mission for journalism:
- Challenging misinformation and disinformation.
- Holding the powerful accountable.
- Eradicating news deserts and strengthening local news.
- Fighting bias, intolerance and injustice.
The engagement editor will recommend, implement and refine strategies that promote effective digital delivery of content by JSK staff, fellows and partners to target audiences. The editor will be responsible for tracking analytics and compiling regular reports on audience engagement that help inform digital strategy. Key to this role is to engage JSK’s community on social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter to increase the audience for JSK-related content and generally expand awareness of the JSK Fellowships in the digital world.
Other responsibilities will include researching and creating original articles, photos, videos and graphics; creating and executing email campaigns; and covering JSK internal and external events.
Questions for the Applicant
Please submit answers to the following questions as part of your cover letter:
- What are the top trends in digital marketing that you believe will most affect the JSK Journalism Fellowships in the coming year?
- Describe a social media campaign that you successfully led. What was its impact and what metrics did you use to measure success?
- Based on JSK’s public social media profiles, what do you see as the strengths and weaknesses of the program’s current outreach efforts?
Applicants must apply on the Stanford Careers website: http://bit.ly/2AK8bab
WORK SETTING: Office
CONTACT INFOMichael Bolden
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONSEducation & Experience Bachelor’s degree and five years of relevant experience; or a combination of education and relevant experience.
- Previous experience in product, program and/or services marketing.
- Ability to drive cross-functional groups toward a common goal.
- Experience with project management and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Understands how to implement integrated marketing programs across channels including digital and print.
- Experience with market research and data analysis.
- Demonstrated problem solver.
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills.
- Deep understanding of journalism, journalism ethics and trends in the industry.
- Superior skills in using multimedia software, such as Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, WordPress and Final Cut Pro.
- Experience in using email marketing software, such as MailChimp, and managing marketing lists.
- Mastery of social media platforms, such as Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter, and analytics tools, such as Buffer, that measure engagement on those platforms.
- Ability to quickly master other tools necessary for effective strategic communications.
- Experience with digital marketing and data analysis, including paid social media campaigns.
- Experience with implementing effective outreach programs across multiple channels.
- Familiarity with Google Docs and Google Drive.
- Comfort with working in a Mac environment.
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently stand/walk, sit, use a telephone, grasp lightly/fine manipulation, speaking.
- Occasionally grasp forcefully, writing by hand.
- Rarely sort/file paperwork.
HOW TO APPLYDeadline: February 5, 2018
Please apply via the Stanford Careers website. http://bit.ly/2AK8bab