Journalism Jobs & Internships
Education Business Reporter
EdSurge, a leading education media organization, is looking for a savvy, experienced business reporter who is passionate about the people, ideas and technologies that shape the future of learning.
This reporter will write about the ecosystem of education startups, publishers and established technology businesses. Your coverage will also include investors, foundations and other funders whose dollars influence the tools and services in the education industry.
We are looking for someone who can develop great sources and analyze education technology trends from a business context. The ability to report and write clean, compelling and original stories is a must. This reporter will also write and deliver our weekly newsletter on the education industry.
The global education market will be a $10 trillion business. But new technologies are changing how everyone will learn, from preschoolers to students and professionals. This is a unique opportunity to be ahead of the curve in reporting on entrepreneurs and companies that influence the future of learning. Our pioneering coverage on the education industry has led to follow-ups from the likes of Bloomberg and The New York Times.
You’re the kind of person who wonders:
- What are the most influential companies in education?
- Who are the biggest funders in the education technology industry?
- Why do education businesses succeed—or fail?
- How should entrepreneurs be held accountable?
- Is any of this making a difference for teachers and students?
Exceptional journalists with a nose for finding and developing great education business stories are encouraged to apply. We welcome creative and confident reporters who can distill complex ideas into concise news. Of course, not every story is best told in words; sometimes charts and graphs do a better job. (And yes, a touch of humor helps, too!)
This is a full-time position with benefits, including support for professional development and training opportunities in a small, passionate team. We believe in helping people be their best selves.
EdSurge is based in Burlingame and Oakland in California (both offices are public transit-friendly). Local candidates preferred but we will consider strong remote candidates. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
WORK SETTING: Office, Remote
CONTACT INFOTony Wan
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONSIn this job you will:
- Cover daily business news and financing announcements.
- Research and produce original features.
- Write and assemble EdSurge Innovate, our weekly business newsletter.
- Travel to and report from industry events and conferences.
- 2+ years of professional reporting experience for a media outlet.
- Passion for the education industry and knowing the key players and personalities.
- Relentless drive to develop unique sources—and break stories.
- Ability to analyze and write about complex education, business and technology issues in a compelling way.
- Understanding of business financing trends and terminology, from Series A to 10-K and 990s.
- Broad understanding of major education issues.
- Demonstrated ability to write both short-form stories and longer features.
- Comfortable, eager and willing to learn about new approaches to visual and multimedia journalism.
- Able to work independently under deadlines with minimal guidance.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and the ability to collaborate within a digital workflow.