Digital Producer, Kaiser Health News
KFF, the non-profit health policy analysis, polling and journalism organization, is seeking a Washington, D.C.-based digital producer to join the staff of Kaiser Health News (KHN), its editorially independent newsroom distributing in-depth coverage of health issues across the country. KHN is an ambitious and growing provider of news on health care politics, policy and business.
The Digital Producer will be a key member of the team responsible for producing and distributing all original stories, special packages, photos, graphics and other digital content across KHN’s websites (khn.org, californiahealthline.org), newsletter products, partner sites and other outlets. The Digital Producer will work alongside KHN reporters, editors, partnerships team, social media manager and copy chief to ensure high-quality and creative packages that will attract a variety of readers and digital consumers.
We are seeking an experienced and highly creative producer, a fast and flexible learner who is eager to try new ideas and who values a collegial and collaborative team and environment. Prior experience with health policy is a plus, and a news background is a must-have.
What We Are Looking For:
- Update the Kaiser Health News websites and digital products with new content;
- Select, assign or create photos and illustrations for KHN stories;
- Create data visualizations and information graphics to enhance articles;
- Handle audio and video files;
- Write headlines, story summaries and newsletter copy;
- Copyedit for accuracy, style and grammar;
- Create and send newsletters; and
- Manage relationships with news partners and distributors who republish KHN material.
More about KHN and KFF:
KFF (The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation) – a nonprofit organization – is a leader in health policy analysis, polling and survey research, and health journalism, and is dedicated to filling the need for trusted information on national health issues. KFF serves as a nonpartisan source of facts, information, and analysis for policymakers, the media, the health care community, and the public. It has no connection with Kaiser Permanente.
KHN is an editorially independent program of KFF. With a staff of more than 50 reporters, editors, web producers, and photographers/videographers in D.C. and California, plus freelance columnists, animators, web developers, photographers, and videographers around the nation, KHN is committed to in-depth reporting on health policy news.
KHN provides this coverage on khn.org as well as in partnership with other news organizations, including NPR, The Washington Post, The New York Times, USA Today, CNN, and a host of other media outlets. All material is provided free of charge. In addition to publishing in-depth articles on new developments in the health care system and on national and local health care initiatives and debates, KHN also produces daily briefings summarizing news coverage of health policy. For more than a decade, these reports have provided readers with daily updates on how the media are covering U.S. health care policy.
This full-time position is based in KFF’s Washington, DC office. This is a term position through December 2021 with the possibility of extension and offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and qualifications, and includes an excellent benefits package.
WORK SETTING: Office
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
Minimum Desired Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree; A minimum of 1-3 years of previous experience, preferably in a newsroom;
- Proficiency with HTML and content management systems (WordPress a plus);
- Experience cropping and editing images in Adobe Photoshop;
- Strong writing ability with a familiarity of AP Style;
- Good news judgment with ability to exercise on deadline;
- Organized self-starter who can own projects, juggle tasks and demonstrate attention to detail;
- Ability to work in a team-oriented open workspace as well as with remote team members; and
- Flexibility to work alternate hours as news events or staffing requires.
Preferred Qualifications:A candidate with some combination of the below skills would be well-positioned in this search:
- Audio and video editing with programs like Adobe Premier and After Effects;
- Shoot basic photography or videography;
- Produce graphics and short multimedia assets for social media platforms;
- Experience with working on podcasts; and
- Proficiency with spreadsheets and web traffic analytics.
HOW TO APPLYDeadline:
To apply for this position please submit a cover letter, resume, and references as separate attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org labeling your documents “Last Name_First Name_Document Title” and writing “Digital Producer” in the email heading. No phone inquiries please.
KFF is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider for employment all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, arrest or conviction records, or other categories protected under the law.