Journalism Jobs & Internships

Digital Editor for NOVA

DEPARTMENT OVERVIEW

NOVA is the most popular primetime science series on American television, demystifying the scientific and technological concepts that shape and define our lives, our planet, and our universe. The PBS series is also one of the most widely distributed science programs around the world, and is a multimedia, multiplatform brand reaching more than 55 million Americans every year on TV and online. NOVA’s important and inspiring stories of human ingenuity, exploration, and the quest for knowledge are regularly recognized with the industry’s most prestigious awards. As part of its mission to make the scientific enterprise accessible to all, NOVA is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in all its work, from the production process to the range of stories we tell and voices we feature. In addition, science educators across the country rely on NOVA for resources used in the classroom as well as in museums, libraries, and after-school programs. NOVA is a production of WGBH Boston; more information can be found at pbs.org/nova, or by following NOVA on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.

JOB OVERVIEW

The Digital Editor will fill an important dual role for the series, focused on both science writing and audience engagement. They will dedicate roughly 60% of their time to pitching, reporting, and writing a variety of content for NOVA’s website, including but not limited to news stories, brief news summaries, features, profiles, and pieces that tie in with NOVA’s other content. The remaining up to 40% of their time may be dedicated to audience engagement projects, including social media, email newsletters, and more. The Digital Editor reports to the Science Editor and works closely with the audience engagement team. Applicants should include a resume, cover letter, and three clips (either as PDFs or links in the cover letter). This is a project contract position.

RESPONSIBILITIES

  • Pitch, report, and write a variety of content for NOVA’s website, including but not limited to news stories, brief news summaries, features, profiles, and pieces that tie in with NOVA’s other content.
  • Audience engagement projects, including social media, email newsletters, and more.

DETAILS

SCHEDULE: Full-Time
DURATION: Permanent

CONTACT INFO

website

REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS

SKILLS & EXPERIENCE

  • At least 1-3 years’ experience as a science journalist with a proven ability to write compelling stories under tight deadlines as well as experience planning and executing social media strategies.
  • Experience writing a wide range of content for a digital environment is a must.
  • Experience developing and telling stories that incorporate multimedia (including short-form video and graphics) is preferred.
  • Proven ability to work in a team environment is crucial.

EDUCATION

Bachelor’s degree; a master’s in science journalism or a related media field is preferred.

WGBH is an equal opportunity employer. The community and audience we serve is diverse, and we wish to foster that diversity in our workplace. Toward that end, WGBH does not discriminate against individuals in hiring, employment or promotion on the basis of race, religion, color, sex/gender, gender identity and gender expression, age, marital status, national origin, sexual orientation, citizenship, handicap or disability, veteran or military status, political belief, pregnancy, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law.

HOW TO APPLY

Deadline:

Please apply through the WGBH Careers page: https://publicmedia.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WGBH_Careers/job/Boston/Digital-Editor-for-NOVA_R000670

Applicants should inclide a resume, cover letter, and three clips.