Journalism Jobs & Internships
Spectrum is looking for an experienced and savvy data reporter to bring a new era of quantitative reporting to our site.
Spectrum is an autism news site intended for scientists, although many non-scientists read us too. We seek a data maven who is excited to analyze data from autism research and produce valuable databases, maps and visualizations.
You’ll take on long-term projects, including creating databases of autism drugs and designing interactive graphics, such as our map of global autism prevalence. You’ll also produce data-driven news stories and accompanying graphics.
You will work with our award-winning team to find the stories behind the numbers in autism research, hold scientists accountable, and find trends by connecting dots. This is a fantastic opportunity for a data-visualization expert looking to dive into an exciting and rapidly growing field.
Bring at least three years of experience in data-driven reporting. We offer a generous salary and truly excellent benefits.
- Assess the news value of data and data analysis
- Report data-driven news and feature stories and help produce accompanying graphics and interactive applications
- Collaborate with the multimedia director, reporters and developers to create high-quality, data-driven graphics and elements to accompany traditional stories
- Build new forms of storytelling devices to illustrate ideas that aren’t best communicated with text alone
- Write news, profile and long-form stories that educate, challenge and inspire our audience of scientists
- Cultivate sources, embed yourself in the community and be the first to know about trends and provocative advances
- Attend and report from conferences
- Keep abreast of trends in digital storytelling as well as programming techniques
- Attention to detail and ability to thoroughly check work for accuracy
- Working knowledge of Excel
- Proficiency with relational databases and structured query language (SQL)
- Strong analytical, research and investigative skills
- Experience with public-records requests for databases
- Familiarity with math and basic statistics for data analysis
- Experience analyzing data with code (Python, R)
- Familiarity with mapping applications using geographic information systems (GIS)
- Command of HTML, CSS and JS
- Knowledge of D3 and Illustrator is a plus.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
- Please submit a résumé, a portfolio of your work and cover letter stating your interest in the position.
The Simons Foundation’s Diversity Commitment
Many of the greatest ideas and discoveries come from a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences, and we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment. The Simons Foundation provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under federal, state and local law.
WORK SETTING: Office
HOW TO APPLYDeadline: January 31, 2019
Apply online at: https://simonsfoundation.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/simonsfoundationcareers/job/160-Fifth-Avenue/Data-Reporter_R0000434-1 Please submit a résumé, a portfolio of your work and cover letter stating your interest in the position.