Journalism Jobs & Internships
Position Title: Content Director
Occupational Code: Exempt
Reports To: Operations Manager
Purpose/General Description of Position:
The Northern New Mexico Radio Foundation—operator of KSFR, a public radio station broadcasting from Santa Fe Community College in New Mexico’s capital city—seeks to hire its first Content Director to bring high-quality local news and community media programming to listeners on multiple platforms. The Content Director is responsible for the vision, strategic development, and production of all content and its distribution on KSFR’s FM broadcast and digital platforms with the goal of engaging, retaining, growing, and diversifying KSFR’s audience in Northern New Mexico. The Content Director manages the creation and direction of KSFR’s locally-focused news, public affairs, and music content, as well as recruitment and training of volunteer, part-time, and full-time media producers.
Specific Duties Include:
- Lead a team of journalists and producers in creating meaningful and informative content for digital and broadcast platforms with a focus on local concerns and issues.
- Establish relationships with the diverse communities KSFR serves and create a plan to listen to community needs in order to inform content creation and engagement strategy.
- Reach new audiences through a variety of platforms with the goals of both increasing audience size and individual engagement with KSFR. Analyze audience data, trends and user habits to develop and evolve content and use of platforms.
- Design and implement a consistent brand identity over broadcast and digital platforms.
- Maintain firewall between editorial content creation and other departments and funders.
- Develop collaborations with independent producers, arts organizations, and civic organizations to produce innovative local content that aligns with KSFR’s core mission.
- Manage content production budget and provide direction for public and private grant requests and other special projects.
- Hire, train, supervise and evaluate staff and volunteer producers.
- Ensure that all content meets high standards for journalistic ethics and complies with applicable laws and regulations.
- Participate in KSFR’s on-air and digital fundraising activities.
- Foster a positive, creative, and collaborative work environment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Supervise all volunteer, part-time, and full-time producers. Supervise News Department and News Director.
WORK SETTING: Office
CONTACT INFOTazbah McCullah
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONSKnowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Programming experience with a successful news-formatted public or community radio station.
- Strong knowledge of digital marketing, web analytics, digital media and audio production.
- Demonstrated ability to learn and troubleshoot new technologies and web-based tools.
- Demonstrated ability to recruit, select, train, and supervise personnel.
- Understanding of local issues of importance in Northern New Mexico.
- Highly developed organizational, interpersonal communications, and time management skills.
- Experience and comfort with speaking on-air as needed.
- Multilingual skills are strongly preferred but not a prerequisite.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field or equivalent experience in journalism, media or content creation, including managing journalists or producers.
- Excellent knowledge of journalistic principles and ethics.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent administrative and managerial skills.
- Extensive experience in public or community media. Previous experience in a nonprofit setting preferred.
- Experience in audio production, digital media production, and/or digital publishing. Proficiency in Adobe Audition is preferred.
- Work is performed in a broadcast station facility 24-7. Must be able to respond to emergency situations during evening and weekend hours.
HOW TO APPLYDeadline:
Send resume and cover letter to:
Position open until filled.
KSFR is an equal opportunity employer without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex, age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family or parental status (including pregnancy).