Journalism Jobs & Internships
The Pacific Institute is a global water think tank that combines science-based thought leadership with active outreach to influence local, national, and international efforts in developing sustainable water policies. Since 1987 it has worked with groups ranging from Fortune 500 companies to disenfranchised communities to create and advance solutions to water challenges.
The Communications Volunteer enhances the Pacific Institute’s effectiveness by assisting with promoting its work to the general public and tracking its monthly impact. This is a communications position; a background in environmental science is not required.
Hours and Duration
Eight to ten hours per week beginning in October 2017, for a minimum of four months.
The schedule is flexible, but we would prefer to have someone who can work a few hours on Monday or Tuesday for the first month, because of social media requirements.
The work will be performed remotely, with periodic check-ins via phone as needed.
- Update the organization’s media database with information on newly published articles featuring the Institute.
- Track the organization’s website statistics by gathering and entering data on website traffic and specific report downloads.
- Analyze the organization’s monthly social media performance on Twitter and Facebook.
- Mine the news for water-related stories to share on the organization’s Twitter page and write tweets.
- Complete rotating and miscellaneous projects as assigned, such as searching for new media contacts to add to the organization’s database, researching potential organizations to add to the Institute’s publication outreach lists, etc.
WORK SETTING: Remote
CONTACT INFORebecca Olson
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Google Sheets
- Background in communications
- Social media experience
- Attention to detail
- Flexibility, curiosity, go-getter attitude, and a sense of humor
- Interest in and a commitment to environmental sustainability
HOW TO APPLYDeadline: September 17, 2017
How to Apply
Please send a letter of interest and resume to Rebecca at email@example.com. More information about the Pacific Institute can be found on its website: www.pacinst.org.
No telephone calls, please. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. The Pacific Institute is an equal opportunity employer.