Journalism Jobs & Internships
Communications Fellowship (Remote)
We are looking for a part-time, remote Communications Fellow to join the March for Science growing communication’s team. The position will oversee the newly launched March for Science blog, will work closely with the Communications Director and Social Media Director to plan strategic social media content and will participate in executing a wide variety of communications initiatives.
The ideal candidate combines the innovativeness of a writer and passionate storyteller, has an eye and an ear for creativity, attention to detail and follow through, and can easily translate strategic direction into well crafted, polished communications in any format. Experience in grassroots movements or science communication is a plus. Graduate journalism students encouraged to apply.
- Manage Blog editorial calendar: Works with the leadership team to develop the editorial plan as well as the creation and management of the editorial calendar. He or she identifies content types (written post, video, infographic, audio, and so on), chooses topics and related categories, assigns articles to writers, approves or rejects writer pitches, etc.
- Manage Content Team: Oversees the writers (paid and volunteer) who contribute content to the blog. This includes communicating, answering questions, providing article feedback and more. Controls schedules and enforces deadlines (for writers, photographers, designers etc.) and maintain style guide.
- Editing, Approving, and Publishing Blog Content: Ensures content meets quality standards. Works with writers to edit content pieces for final publication. Responds to relevant comments and makes sure comments follow community standards.
- Communications Planning: Assists in the development and implementation of impactful communication campaigns in a wide variety of formats, including infographics, donor communications, social media posts and via our intranet.
- Social Media Content Development: Pitch in to draft creative and compelling content for social media channels as well as help with moderating the group
The 6-month fellowship begins by mid-December and requires approximately 15 hours weekly. The position provides a stipend. Candidates can work remotely, but must reside in the United States.
WORK SETTING: Remote
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Exceptional ability in copywriting and journalistic writing
- Good proofreading and editing skills
- Working knowledge of online platforms like WordPress, Medium and SEO concepts
- Abilities in planning and coordinating people and operations
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- Outstanding communication and people abilities
- Attention to detail
- Digitally-savvy with social media platform experience
- Experience in PR, media planning a bonus
- Background in journalism or relevant field
HOW TO APPLYDeadline: December 29, 2017
To apply, please send your resume, a cover letter describing your interest in grassroots communications advocacy and relevant work experience managing a blog, and (3) writing samples (blog content and social media content). Full applications should be sent to Koren Temple Perry, Communications Director at firstname.lastname@example.org and Jessika Davidson, Social Media Director, email@example.com.
The deadline to apply is December 29.