Journalism Jobs & Internships
Do you believe large companies have a vital role to play in fighting climate change and reducing waste and pollution? Are you excited about the role that journalism can play in advancing exciting new approaches and technologies that could accelerate the transition to a clean economy, one that is inclusive and equitable?
For the past 20 years, GreenBiz.com has chronicled corporate leadership in aligning environmental responsibility with profitable business practices. Our stories and events focus on next-generation energy and transportation strategies and technologies, the rise of the circular economy, the emerging business of carbon removal, the viability of sustainable food systems, and the state of the sustainability profession.
As an Associate Editor you will:
- Assist with brainstorming, story planning and special projects.
- Edit original and syndicated articles daily. Demonstrate a knack for headlines, image selection and SEO strategy.
- Be confident with CMS and simple image and audio editing tools.
- Work collaboratively and diplomatically with a team of editors, writers and expert contributors.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how to write about sustainability issues for a mainstream corporate audience.
- Collaborate with the GreenBiz editorial, analyst and event teams to shape and define your own coverage “beat.”
- Assist with podcasts and videos.
- Attend and report on events, including GreenBiz-hosted conferences.
- Demonstrate a solid grasp of journalism ethics.
- Be familiar with AP style (or learn quickly).
About GreenBiz Group
GreenBiz Group is the leading media and information services company focused exclusively on sustainability and the competitive edge it brings to businesses. Our mission is to define and accelerate the business of sustainability. We do this through our award-winning website, GreenBiz.com; our cutting-edge research, like the State of Green Business report; our acclaimed events, including the GreenBiz, VERGE, and Circularity conferences; and through the GreenBiz Executive Network, our member group for sustainability executives in large companies.
GreenBiz offers a culture that is collaborative, hardworking, and fun. Our office is located in the heart of downtown Oakland, California, just steps away from the 12th St. City Center BART station. Please email a cover letter and resume to the email address noted above. Please familiarize yourself with our website at www.greenbiz.com before applying.
We offer a competitive employee benefits package including:
- Full health and dental benefits
- Retirement savings options
- Holiday pay
- Paid vacation and sick days
- Two paid volunteer days per year — one individual, one company
Equal Employment Opportunity
GreenBiz Group values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages applications from women, people of color, LGBT individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents with appropriate work permits, and veterans. GreenBiz Group is an equal-opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
CONTACT INFOHeather Clancy
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
- BA or equivalent degree
- Minimum two to three years of professional experience in journalism, preferably with a focus on sustainability, business or technology
- Excellent attention to deadlines and detail
- Demonstrated ability to manage long lead-time projects or special reports
- An interest in working in multimedia, including podcasts and videos
- An ability to work independently, at times with minimal guidance, demonstrating initiative, accountability and ownership of multiple, concurrent assigned tasks
- Team player with a flexible, collaborative, can-do attitude
HOW TO APPLYDeadline: June 1, 2020
If you’re interested in joining our vibrant, growing team in lively downtown Oakland, California, please send your resume along with links to great stories you’ve written or edited. (Note: We prefer plain text with URLs within an email over attachments.)