Media Director - Stanford SPARQ: Social Psychological Answers to Real-world Questions
The social sciences have a so-called “last-mile problem.” Scientists deposit their findings in academic journals—the warehouses of science—but then no one transports these findings to the policymakers, educators, and other practitioners who need them the most. To solve social science’s last-mile problem, Stanford SPARQ, a do tank in the Stanford Psychology Department, is creating and disseminating multimedia stories and tools that help practitioners use social science in their work.
Want to join us? We are seeking a Media Director who can not only translate social science into enticing communications, but also market those communications to diverse audiences. Part journalist and part community builder, the media director will help develop and implement a communications strategy that will make SPARQ the go-to organization for people who want to do good better.
Reporting to the Executive Director of SPARQ, the Media Director will:
* Collaborate with social science researchers, practitioners, and contractors to produce digital toolkits that translate social science findings, methods, and interventions into resources for practitioners in media, business, education, nonprofits, and government agencies
* Work with faculty, staff, and partners to produce bylined multimedia stories for popular outlets
* Create and curate daily content for SPARQ’s social media channels (Twitter, Facebook, & LinkedIn)
* Research, write, and edit SPARQ Solutions Catalog entries, blog posts, white papers, OpEds, press releases, video scripts, and other editorial products
* Author and edit quarterly newsletters, annual reports, pitch decks, and other donor communications
* Edit research reports, presentations, funding proposals, and other scientific communications
* Spearhead original editorial projects and dissemination strategies
* Hire and manage contract photographers, animators, illustrators, user experience designers, and web developers to create multimedia experiences for various communication endeavors
* Lead SPARQ’s digital community-building efforts, developing strategy, managing subscribers, growing circulation, and monitoring analytics for SPARQ’s websites and social media channels
* Select and mentor interns.
The ideal candidate will have:
* Bachelor’s degree (advanced degree preferred) in a social science, journalism, communications, marketing, or related field
* 7 years of experience in journalism, communications, marketing, public relations, or a related field
* Proven ability to translate social scientific findings for diverse audiences
* Superlative written and visual communications skills
* Extensive experience planning and implementing complex editorial projects
Demonstrated success collaborating with multidisciplinary teams to develop, produce, and disseminate attractive and compelling multimedia communications
* Exceptional attention to detail and thorough command of editorial and proofreading skills
* Love of language, passion for people, dedication to learning, and commitment to SPARQ’s mission to create and share social scientific insights with people working to improve society.
How To Apply:
Please send your resume, cover letter, and three media (print, broadcast, or online) clips to alacon@Stanford.edu.
|Stanford University Department of Psychology||CA||Commensurate with experience.||Contract with strong likelihood of conversion to a full-time staff position with Stanford benefits.||Full Time||Oct. 10, 2017|
Created On: 06/12/2017 - 12:00 a.m.
Modified On: 06/20/2017 - 08:54 a.m.