Writer, Health and Science - University of California, San Francisco
Company: University of California, San Francisco
Position Title: Writer, Health and Science
Department: Planning and Communications, Office of the Dean, School of Pharmacy
Location: Laurel Heights
Position Type: Full Time
Work Days/Shift: Monday - Friday, 9AM - 5PM
Requisition #: 46850BR
The Health and Science Writer reports, writes, and edits pharmacy.ucsf.edu/ science, health, and education news and feature articles--supported by appropriate photography, video, and other assets—that further the School of Pharmacy’s strategic communications goals. The position takes digital photos and simple video footage while in the field.
Reporting directly to the editorial manager, the Writer works closely with all members of the Planning and Communications team. The level and quality of work done by this position impacts directly the reputation and perception of the School of Pharmacy to all audiences.
Success requires subject matter expertise in health care and the health sciences—and subject matter experience in the discovery sciences such as chemistry, physics, and bioengineering. It also requires political acumen and a clear understanding of the School’s direction, absolute attention to detail and fact-checking, and the ability to meet editorial deadlines.
The UCSF School of Pharmacy’s web portal is the School’s most timely, well-followed, and consistent form of communication to the School’s internal and external audiences, including prospective clinical and basic science partners; prospective PharmD and graduate students; prospective donors; and industry and government leaders. As such, a vibrant web news, feature, and consumer content program, developed based upon a sound content strategy, is absolutely essential to the School’s success.
Please note: This is a full time six month contract position starting from the date of hire.
PLANNING AND COMMUNICATIONS, OFFICE OF THE DEAN, SCHOOL OF PHARMACY
The Office of Planning and Communications is the lead communications unit for the School of Pharmacy. The office is responsible for ensuring the School’s contributions to science, education, and patient care are communicated successfully to its audiences and for managing the development of the School’s strategic plans. The office is managed by the associate dean of planning and communications, who reports to the dean and who carries the primary responsibility for the School-level planning function of the office. The office is a unit of the School of Pharmacy Office of the Dean.
General responsibilities cover:
• School-level communications
• School-level strategic planning
• Branding (including messaging and identity) in support of the main UCSF brand
• Building, maintaining, updating, and expanding the technical infrastructure of all School websites
• Delivering editorial and visuals for the main School and Office of the Dean website pages
• Empowering School staff with the web technical and editorial skills needed to care for their individual websites
• Maintaining a robust and well-rounded social media presence for the School.
The University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) is a leading university dedicated to promoting health worldwide through advanced biomedical research, graduate-level education in the life sciences and health professions, and excellence in patient care. It is the only campus in the 10-campus UC system dedicated exclusively to the health sciences.
• Bachelor's degree in journalism or related field and 5 to 10 years of related work experience, and / or an equivalent combination of education and experience / training
• Advanced knowledge of the fundamentals of writing, grammar, syntax, style, and punctuation and advanced skills to write clear, lively, engaging, compelling and effective copy in a variety of styles appropriate to target audiences and the broader public
• Advanced knowledge of appropriate editorial style and publication guidelines
• Advanced knowledge of issues in health care and health sciences
• Experience writing complicated health care and health sciences news and feature stories that are easily understood by lay audiences
• Knowledge of computer applications for publishing, image handling, and / or web production
• Advanced skill in taking initiative to creatively identify and pitch story ideas to senior management and clients
• Advanced research and fact verification skills, using available resources, publications and subject matter experts as needed
• Expert desktop computing and internet search skills
• Ability to identify, select, and request imagery and other multimedia assets to accompany written content
• Advanced interpersonal communications skills, including active listening and effective collaboration skills
• Advanced analytical and critical thinking skills
• Skill to maintain absolute confidentiality
Note: Fingerprinting and background check required. Effective March 13, 2017, all final candidate(s) for employment are required to undergo a background check.
• Skilled at photography and videography - strongly preferred
• Advanced, in-depth knowledge of the location, including its mission, goals, achievements, infrastructure, programs, and policies
• Ability to process and prepare photography for digital presentation, including compositing
• Familiarity with video editing tools and basic principles of assembling online video
• Skilled at producing illustrations or infographics
• Advanced project management, organizational and problem recognition, avoidance and resolution skills
How To Apply:
In order to be considered for open positions at UCSF, you will need to submit your resume through our online application process. Once you complete the online application process, you will receive an email confirming that your submission has been received. Submitting your resume to UCSF opens the door to many immediate and ongoing job opportunities. Your resume will remain active in our applicant database and you will be able to update it as needed.
To submit your resume online go to: https://sjobs.brassring.com/tgwebhost/jobdetails.aspx?partnerid=6495&siteid=5226&jobid=2469565
Emailed applications are not accepted.
Apply specifically to requisition # 46850BR. Please note ad code ICRL/ 46850BR in the ad code field in your applicant profile.
An email address is required for you to submit your resume.
The University of California San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
|Laurel Heights, San Francisco||California||Permanent||Full Time||Aug. 10, 2017|
Created On: 04/12/2017 - 12:00 a.m.
Modified On: 04/14/2017 - 05:28 p.m.