Director of Communications and Marketing - Autry Museum of the American West
The Director of Communications and Marketing is committed to enhancing the reputation and visibility of the Autry in Los Angeles and beyond. The position’s primary responsibilities include overseeing online and print communications, directing public relations activities, and managing marketing strategies.
• Ensures clear, cohesive, and compelling communications about the museum’s mission, exhibitions, and public programs in a range of promotional and educational materials.
• Serves as primary writer/editor of many mission-aligned materials, including the bimonthly print calendar, e-mail communications, web content, letters, and speeches.
• Develops publicity strategies for Autry exhibitions, public programs, and special events.
• Directs and monitors media coverage. Writes press materials and directs others in the development of media advisories, fact sheets, and press lists.
• Together with the Communications Manager, actively pitches stories to print, online, and broadcast media outlets.
• Ensures rapid and accurate responses to journalists on deadline. Assigns, coordinates, and monitors interviews as needed.
• Organizes and hosts press previews: develops event schedules, secures media attendance, and writes talking points for key spokespeople.
• Oversees schedule and strategies for e-mail communications.
• Vets opportunities for offsite engagement (e.g., community events, festivals, and partnerships).
• Helps proofread content that other departments develop, as needed.
• Supervises the Communications Manager and Community Outreach Manager.
• Develops, directs, and monitors marketing plans aligned with strategic goals and budget.
• Creates or edits copy for broadcast spots, print ads, online ads, and promotional materials.
• Oversees the development and implementation of graphic identities for major events and projects, such as the Annual Gala.
• Supports a collaborative approach to marketing with a variety of regional partners, including SoCal Museums, the L.A. Tourism and Convention Board, Visit California, and media sponsors.
• Analyzes data to adjust strategies and respond to industry trends.
• Supervises the Manager of Marketing and Social Media and contracted professionals.
• Bachelor’s degree in English, history, journalism, communications, marketing, or a related field.
• Seven or more years of experience as a writer, editor, publicist, account executive, or related position, preferably in a non-profit or arts environment.
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including strong proofreading skills.
• Strong working knowledge of media relations practices in the promotion of the visual, performing, and/or cultural arts. Must be familiar with local and regional media.
• Ability and motivation to maximize coverage for the Autry in innovative and measurable ways. Must have an interest in the art, history, and cultures of the American West.
• Experience developing and implementing successful marketing plans with limited budgets.
• Knowledge of direct mail, social media, video, and web design. Experience working with designers and production managers.
• Exceptional interpersonal skills to work collaboratively across departments and with outside partners.
• Experience supervising and motivating staff.
• Familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style standards and the ability to quickly adopt an organization’s voice and tone.
• Proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite; project management software; content management systems (such as Drupal or Joomla); e-mail software (such as MailChimp); and Photoshop.
• Bilingual in Spanish desired.
Ability to work long hours in front of a computer. Some nights and weekends required. Some standing required at events.
How To Apply:
For additional details and to apply for the position, visit https://theautry.org/about-us/employment
|Los Angeles||CA||Full Time||April 30, 2017|
Created On: 04/05/2017 - 12:00 a.m.
Modified On: 04/07/2017 - 04:02 p.m.