News Website Product Development Specialist - UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism
The UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism is offering a one-year fellowship in online news operations to help develop economic business models for sustaining three community web-based news operations run by the school.
The local news websites–MissionLocal.org, OaklandNorth.net and RichmondConfidential.org–are laboratories to train graduate students on reporting and serve as incubators for innovation in digital news.
The J-School is seeking a candidate excited about inventing ways to monetize news websites through experimentation that might include advertising, subscriptions, memberships, coupons, sales, partnerships, or other creative ideas that could provide financial stability for small news websites in the future. This environment is an excellent opportunity for a person with an entrepreneurial spirit to test innovations for funding news.
This position is supported by a grant from the Ford Foundation.
• Developing and implementing new business products for the three sites.
• Helping develop content strategies to increase public engagement with the sites.
• Facilitating partnerships with organizations, companies or non-profits.
• Product development, such as coupons, memberships, subscriptions, etc.
• Assisting in writing grant proposals, reports or other fund raising.
• Serve as guest speaker and subject matter expert in related business journalism classes.
Applicants will be chosen based on their qualifications as well as their dedication to community news. Contributions to diversity and equal opportunity are valued in the selection process. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer.
This full time, one year appointment is expected to begin on August 1, 2011 and qualifies for full University of California benefits: http://www.atyourservice.ucop.edu/employees/health_welfare/index.html
• Bachelor’s degree in business or equivalent professional experience
• Prior professional experience with journalism or news organizations; preference will be given to candidates with five or more years successful experience working in related field
• Demonstrated business development experience, preferably in an entrepreneurial environment
• Intermediate to advanced knowledge using social media or blogging.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated ability to be creative, resourceful, detail-oriented, organized and an independent thinker
• Strong analytical/problem-solving skills
• Preference will be given to candidates with general design, Illustrator or Photoshop skills, and/or HTML and CSS skills, WordPress and/or PHP/MySQL skills
How To Apply:
Email CV or resume and cover letter to email@example.com no later than midnight on Friday, July 1, 2011.
|Berkeley||CA||This full time, one year appointment is expected to begin on August 1, 2011 and qualifies for full University of California benefits.||July 1, 2011|
Created On: 06/03/2011 - 12:50 p.m.
Modified On: 06/16/2011 - 11:52 a.m.