Category: Newspapers-Wire Services
State Government and Politics Reporter
The Associated PressCategory: Newspapers-Wire Services
Location: Des Moines
Work Schedule: Full Time
The Associated Press seeks a State Government and Politics Reporter in Des Moines, Iowa, to lead the cooperative's coverage of state government and state and federal politics in Iowa.
Reporting to the Des Moines-based Iowa/Nebraska News Editor, this reporter will build a beat that breaks news and positions the AP to respond quickly to events with enterprise that advances the story, with a focus on political and government news from Iowa that has relevance both inside the state and across the globe. He/she should be able to produce content in multiple formats (text, photo, video and audio) and will work with the Iowa News Editor to set the beat's agenda and produce reporting for the AP's newspaper, online and broadcast markets.
The successful candidate will:
- identify and develop stories that break news, have impact and are exclusive to the AP.
- report and produce compelling enterprise for state, national and global audiences, with a strong focus on accountability journalism.
- execute those stories in all formats, in a timely fashion and under deadline pressure.
- report and produce content on deadline in competitive situations.
The Associated Press is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Record of developing sources, breaking news, originating story ideas and writing about complex issues in a clear and engaging way. Applicants need to understand the growing importance of multimedia news and be able to coordinate with AP staffers from other formats. The successful candidates should have at least five years of full-time reporting experience at a daily newspaper, broadcast station or AP bureau.
- Bachelors degree or equivalent experience.
- Authorization to work in the U.S. will be mandatory.
- Advanced-level professional competency in written and spoken English language.
- Demonstrated aggressive use of public records and computer-assisted reporting experience is a plus.
- Ability to recognize and develop newsworthy stories of global interest and work accurately under deadline pressure.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to juggle multiple projects across formats.
How To Apply:
DO NOT use the Apply Online button. Please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar:
Deadline To Apply: Nov. 1, 2012
Web site: http://ap.contacthr.com/26154144
Posted: 10/02/2012 - 02:52 a.m.
Modified: 10/02/2012 - 04:00 p.m.
Posting a Job or Internship:
If you have a job or internship posting you want included in the J-JOBS database, please use the Job Submission Form. There is no charge.
We try to post jobs and internships as they come in, but in some cases we post them once a week on Sunday evening or Monday morning. Job postings are removed after about 30 days. Internship postings are generally considered permanent (we'll try and re-verify them every year). Some positions listed may already be filled.
No attempt has been made to verify any of the information in any of the job postings. J-JOBS is a free service to the journalism community by the Graduate School of Journalism at the University of California at Berkeley.
To request corrections to the J-Jobs database, contact Jobs Coordinator.