The Associated Press seeks a News Producer to be based at the Nerve Center at global headquarters in New York.
The successful candidate will be part of a dynamic team that is tasked with:
· Coordinating and directing AP’s global coverage of major stories on multiple platforms, working closely with regional and specialized news units to assure that performance is comprehensive, balanced and quick.
· Prototyping and incubating a wide variety of news products, with focus on competitiveness, innovation and quality.
· Identifying and distilling information (from "most important" bullet points, to a memorable quote, to a compelling photo or snippet of video that captures a story) to create fresh and unique entry points to the news.
· Gathering and editing material for these entry points, as well as using material from AP staff around the world.
· Maintaining an ongoing dialogue with AP editors, reporters, photographers and videographers worldwide, becoming thoroughly involved in the stories of the day.
· As required, help align resources from the beginning of the reporting process and redirect reporting to suit the needs of various news products.
· Ranking top news stories of the day for mobile and other platforms and sending push alerts.
· Promoting AP’s best journalism to members and subscribers via various platforms.
· Monitoring mainstream and social media for story ideas and competitive intelligence.
· Building AP’s brand on social networks by strategic action and engaging directly with end users.
· Enforcing and executing AP’s global efforts to search for and acquire the rights to user-generated content across formats.
· News Producers report to the Assistant managing editor on duty and the Deputy managing editor.
The Associated Press is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
· The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in mainstream, online or social media, including reporting experience, especially international.
· Voracious interest in news across emerging platforms -- iPad and other tablets, smart phones, and online.
· Intimate knowledge of AP's newsgathering process and how breaking news travels across the AP, or ability to learn it quickly.
· Excellent news judgment and attention to detail, and ability to react quickly to breaking news in a high-pressure, dynamic environment.
· Ability to parse Web and mobile analytics in real-time to inform and provide context for other editors.
· Strong abilities in headline writing and photo and video selection.
· Ability to adapt quickly to new products and technology.
· Ability to understand the needs of news consumers worlwide; Personal and/or professional use of social media such as Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Vimeo, Flickr, Google+, LinkedIn, Foursquare and Tumblr on PC and mobile.
· Commitment to all news: national and international news, politics, sports, entertainment and business.
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
· Knowledge of international social networks.
· Experience in creation of multimedia products, Web and social media analytics, SEO and SMO
· Proficiency in basic HTML, XML, PhotoShop, Final Cut, audio editing software, FTP and blogging tools (e.g., WordPress).
· Must be able to work a variety of shifts to accommodate 24/7 coverage of these platforms, including evening, overnight and weekend shifts. Work hours may change frequently.
How To Apply:
DO NOT use the Apply Online button. Please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar:
|New York||NY||Competitive||Full Time||Oct. 24, 2012|
- Web site:
- Created On: 09/25/2012 - 04:43 a.m.
- Modified On: 09/25/2012 - 04:05 p.m.