For 35 years, Corporate Accountability International has successfully challenged corporations like Nestlé, General Electric, and Philip Morris to halt abusive practices that threaten human rights, public health, the environment and our democracy. The organization is expanding—and leading campaigns challenging some of the world’s most powerful industries in food and agriculture, water and tobacco. Think Outside the Bottle exposes the truth behind bottled water marketing and defends the human right to water in the face of increasing corporate control, while Public Water Works! galvanizes support for public water systems. Value [the] Meal challenges the fast food industry to stop driving an epidemic of diet-related disease and helps build a more sustainable food system. Our campaign to Challenge Big Tobacco protects the first-ever corporate accountability treaty from tobacco industry interference.
The Media Relations Director is responsible for bringing critical visibility to the organization’s campaigns, shaping the public debate around corporate power and abuses. The Media Relations Director directs Corporate Accountability International’s media program: developing and carrying out annual media relations plans; communicating regularly with key journalists; drafting and editing press materials; and training staff and spokespeople on working with the media, while working in an enthusiastic and driven office atmosphere.
• Develop and implement Corporate Accountability International’s strategic, tactical and event-focused communications and media outreach plans.
• Identify, build and maintain relationships with key journalists and prominent media outlets.
• Draft, edit and proof talking points, press releases and other written materials.
• Supervise full-time staff and/or contract staff as needed.
• Train staff spokespeople and media activists nationwide.
• Ensure maintenance of up-to-date files, records, and systems, including a comprehensive reporter database.
• Develop, evaluate and improve Corporate Accountability International’s overall media strategy and media outreach tools.
• Participate in campaign activities and fundraising drives such as shareholder’s meetings and phone banks.
Accountability: The Media Relations Director reports to the Communications Director.
Salary range: Commensurate with experience, with a generous benefits package including health, dental, FSA, 401 (k) and ongoing training and growth opportunities.
Location: Campaign Headquarters, Boston.
• Demonstrated commitment to social justice and progressive social change.
• At least five years full-time experience in a non-profit setting, including a significant background in media relations. Experience in grassroots organizing and fundraising a plus.
• Savvy and persistent. You enjoy spending time on the phone and developing relationships with journalists, columnists, editorialists, and thought leaders.
• Proven ability to pitch and generate quality in-depth stories at a high volume alike.
• Strong staff management skills.
• Talented and experienced copy writer and editor.
• Experience as a spokesperson and in training spokespeople. Background in conducting media trainings.
• Enthusiasm for travel.
How To Apply:
To Apply: Email letter of interest, résumé, and three to five references to Sarah Bennett at email@example.com. Please let us know where you heard about the position.
|Boston||Massachusetts||Commensurate with experience, with a generous benefits package including health, dental, FSA, 401 (k) and ongoing training and growth opportunities.||Full Time||None|
- Created On: 09/19/2012 - 02:35 p.m.
- Modified On: 09/19/2012 - 07:13 p.m.