Play a major role in coordinating and producing WPR’s online news content, by re-purposing on-air material and creating original content for the web. This position reports to the News Director.
1. Edit WPR news materials for publishing to the website. Integrate extra audio, images, text, links to other resources, and other content as appropriate.
2. Create a web presentation of at least one WPR story each day, using content that could include slide shows, tables or other graphics, extra audio, side bar stories, etc.
3. Create special project or series pages as directed.
4. Interact with the public through social media.
5. Stay current on best practices in online journalism and recommend ways to enhance WPR’s offerings.
6. Maintain extensive knowledge of issues, events and newsmakers across the listening area.
7. Maintain the standards of journalistic ethics and excellence described in WPR’s Statement of Ethics: http://wpr.org/news/ethics.cfm
8. Demonstrate respect for others in all workplace relationships and interactions.
9. Effectively engage diverse perspectives and experiences in work product and in organizational interactions, including communication and decision-making.
10. Other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Must be available to work weekday afternoons.
2. Knowledge of and strict adherence to high journalistic standards.
3. Knowledge of all facets of online news production, including writing for the web, editing, graphic design, photography, and audio/visual production.
4. Excellent writing, grammar, and proofreading skills. Knowledge of AP style.
5. Achieve and maintain knowledge of Wisconsin current events and issues.
6. Knowledge of ways to use social media to develop stories and interact with audience.
7. Ability to work independently and with a team of news staff throughout Wisconsin.
8. Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously on deadline.
9. Aural and visual acuity to capture and edit sound and pictures/video for non-broadcast news platforms.
10. Ability to work for sustained periods at computer work station.
SALARY: The range for this position is $39,000-$48,000. Actual pay will be dependent upon qualifications and experience. UW-Extension offers a comprehensive benefits package.
1. Bachelor’s degree.
2. At least three years journalism experience, with at least two years experience in online journalism. Work performed in school can be counted toward online experience.
3. Demonstrated excellence in writing and reporting for the web.
4. Demonstrated excellence is using images, links, graphics, etc., to help tell a story online.
5. Strong editorial and ethical judgment.
6. Ability to work with a team, including team members in remote locations.
7. Able to successfully manage several projects simultaneously, and meet deadlines.
8. Excellent communication and organizational skills.
9. Demonstrated ability to effectively engage diverse perspectives and experiences in work product and in organizational interactions, including communication and decision-making.
DESIRABLE, BUT NOT REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
1. Two years experience in public radio news.
2. Strong knowledge of Wisconsin current events and issues.
How To Apply:
HOW TO APPLY: Apply online on our APPLICANT GATEWAY. For best consideration, respond by 5P on October 15. All of the following must be received for your application to be considered complete:
1. A detailed resume.
2. A completed UW-Extension application form, survey and confidentiality notice
3. A narrative carefully detailing HOW your experience relates to the job duties and qualifications for this position.
4. Sample(s) of your work: submit screen shots or links to your best work, showing your ability to write well for the web, make use of images, slideshows, and other “extras” to tell a story, and, if available, links to a special project or series page you have created.
5. Please provide a short narrative that reflects your experience using social media in journalism.
6. Names and contact information including e-mail address for five references who can attest to your professional capabilities; at least one reference must be a supervisor (On form)
7. Recruitment source (appears on AA data sheet)
8. Salary history (on form)
- Before you get started with the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs). To do so, paste the following URL into your browser. External applicants can also view the FAQs after accessing the online system by clicking on the "Help" link in the upper right corner. https://helpdesk.wisc.edu/images/group61/21900/TAMFAQ_CandidateGateway.pdf
- External applicants, please paste the following URL into your browser: https://www.careers.wisconsin.edu/psc/careers/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?SiteId=29
Click on Advanced search link. Enter Job opening ID: 1208
|Madison||WI||$39,000 - 48,000||one year||Full Time||Oct. 15, 2013|
- Created On: 09/17/2012 - 09:03 a.m.
- Modified On: 09/17/2012 - 04:31 p.m.