National Nurses United (NNU) AFL-CIO / California Nurses AssociationCategory: Miscellaneous
Duration of Position: Pernanent
Work Schedule: Full Time
National Nurses United (NNU) AFL-CIO seeks an experienced Communications Specialist with a commitment to social justice and professional experience in social advocacy, and communications. The ideal candidate will have experience in the application of communications technology to social and political issues.
NNU is the nation’s largest union and professional association of registered nurses, and at the forefront of national efforts to transform the market-driven healthcare industry in the U.S. to a single-payer style healthcare system, along with rekindling the movement for progressive social change.
NNU is also well known for negotiating premiere collective bargaining contracts for registered nurses, for sponsoring the nation’s foremost safe staffing law, for organizing campaigns that have made it one of the fastest-growing unions in the U.S., and for innovative, award-winning political campaigns. NNU has 175,000 members in all 50 states.
This position is based in Oakland, Calif.
• Build broader awareness of NNU campaigns and increase the visibility of the work of the organization on a national and local level by planning and executing communications across all media platforms.
• Write press releases, blogs, magazine articles, brochures, flyers, and other organizational materials, as assigned.
• Develop materials and conduct media outreach for varied union and grassroots campaigns and projects.
• Conduct media outreach to promote organizational activities, as assigned.
• Plan and conduct social media campaigns.
• Build and maintain relationships with media/reporters.
• Develop strategic communication and marketing plans essential to supporting the goals and objectives of NNU campaigns.
• Report to and work under the direction of the NNU Communications Director.
Excellent salary and benefits with a generous pension plan. Full family and domestic partner coverage.
Please no calls.NNU is committed to Equal Opportunity, and considering applicants of all ages, races, sexual orientations, national origins, ethnicities, and religions. We urge people of color and women, experienced communications specialists of all backgrounds, to apply.
• Five years experience in journalism, media relations with unions, political and/or social advocacy organizations or the equivalent.
• Two years experience in social media outreach and campaigns.
• A proven track record of acquiring national print, electronic, and online media coverage.
• Excellent verbal communications and writing skills (two writing samples required with application).
• The ability to communicate complex material in a way that is accessible to a broad audience.
• Proficiency with MS Office – word processing, access, spreadsheets.
• Familiarity with the healthcare industry, health care reform, social justice issues, and labor strongly preferred.
• Willingness to work hours and
schedule as needed to complete projects and support organizational campaigns.
• Willingness to travel, as needed.
How To Apply:
Please submit resume, cover letter, and two writings samples at:
Deadline To Apply: None
Phone: please no email or calls
Posted: 09/02/2012 - 05:44 p.m.
Modified: 09/03/2012 - 09:12 a.m.
Posting a Job or Internship:
If you have a job or internship posting you want included in the J-JOBS database, please use the Job Submission Form. There is no charge.
We try to post jobs and internships as they come in, but in some cases we post them once a week on Sunday evening or Monday morning. Job postings are removed after about 30 days. Internship postings are generally considered permanent (we'll try and re-verify them every year). Some positions listed may already be filled.
No attempt has been made to verify any of the information in any of the job postings. J-JOBS is a free service to the journalism community by the Graduate School of Journalism at the University of California at Berkeley.
To request corrections to the J-Jobs database, contact Jobs Coordinator.