National Nurses United (NNU) AFL-CIO seeks an experienced Strategic Communications Manager with an intense commitment to social justice and professional experience in advocacy, marketing, and communications. The ideal candidate will have experience in the application of communications technology to social and political issues on a national level.
NNU is the nation’s largest union and professional association of registered nurses, and at the forefront of national efforts to transform the market-driven healthcare industry in the U.S. to a single-payer style healthcare system, along with rekindling the movement for progressive social change.
NNU is also well known for negotiating premiere collective bargaining contracts for registered nurses, for sponsoring the nation’s foremost safe staffing law, for organizing campaigns that have made it one of the fastest-growing unions in the U.S., and for innovative, award-winning political campaigns. NNU has 170,000 members in all 50 states.
This position is based in Oakland, Calif.
• Build broader awareness of NNU campaigns and increase the visibility of the work of the organization on a national and local level by planning and executing communications across all media platforms.
• Write press releases, blogs, magazine articles, brochures, flyers, and other organizational materials, as assigned.
• Develop materials and conduct media outreach for varied union and grassroots campaigns and projects.
• Conduct media outreach to promote organizational activities, as assigned.
• Plan and conduct social media campaigns.
• Build and maintain relationships with media/reporters.
• Develop strategic communication and marketing plans essential to supporting the goals and objectives of NNU campaigns.
• Manage the day-to-day running of the Communications department.
Excellent salary and benefits with a generous pension plan. Full family and domestic partner coverage.
Please no calls.NNU is committed to Equal Opportunity, and considering applicants of all ages, races, sexual orientations, national origins, ethnicities, and religions. We urge people of color and women, experienced communications specialists of all backgrounds, to apply.
• Experience and success with short-term and long-term strategic campaigns
• Broad experience in media relations with a proven track record of acquiring national print, electronic, and online media coverage.
• Excellent verbal communications and writing skills (two writing samples required with application).
• The ability to communicate complex material in a way that is accessible to a broad audience.
• Proficiency with MS Office – word processing, access, spreadsheets.
• Seven plus years experience in strategic media planning and journalism with increasing responsibility.
• Experience managing creative teams.
• Willingness to work long hours and flexible schedule to complete projects and support organizational campaigns, as needed.
• Capacity to work both independently and as part of a team.
• An ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
• Willingness to travel, as needed.
• Familiarity with the healthcare industry, healthcare reform, social justice issues, and labor strongly preferred.
How To Apply:
Please submit resume, cover letter, and two writings samples at:
- Web site:
- Please no email or calls
- Created On: 09/02/2012 - 05:36 p.m.
- Modified On: 09/03/2012 - 09:12 a.m.