The Ventura County Star, Ventura County’s leading newspaper and web site, has an opening in our Editorial department for an Associate Community Editor to advance the success of our newspaper, niche products, and web offerings. The successful candidate will work under the direction of the lead Community Editor and Mgr. Community Editor, as well as the Supervisor Newspaper Administration, to gather user-generated content and prepare it for publication. The Associate Community Editor deals directly with the public for community focused press releases, calendar items and all other community-related informational items that come in via digital, print or phone. The Associate Community Editor will rewrite, as necessary, those community releases for publication and distribution on all publishing platforms, including digital. Will handle other newsroom functions as directed.
Key Activities include:
* Gather original content from a variety of community user-generated sources.
* Edit and rewrites copy meeting best practices in news writing and proper use of grammar and AP style
* Prepare, and distribute, content through all social media, and digital publication platforms, showing a thorough understanding of how those channels operate and changes in content necessary to meet the demands of the various platforms.
* Deal directly with the public, through phone and email, putting them in touch with the right person in the newsroom and/or directly responding promptly to questions, complaints and inquries
* Engage readers through social media, exploring all avenues for interaction with audiences
* Assist newsroom operation teams and marketing department personnel in off-site community events as necessary
We offer a competitive compensation package. Additional benefits include Medical, Dental, Vision and disability.
Please visit at our careers site at www.scripps.com and select requisition #5303.
The Ventura County Star is part of the E.W. Scripps Company, a diverse 134-year-old media enterprise with interests in television stations, newspapers, local news and information web sites, and licensing and syndication.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Technical certification or associates degree with 5-7 relevant experience preferred.
* Demonstrate an in-depth working knowledge of the theories and applications of professional journalism and a basic command of the English language to include the ability to spell correctly, write clearly and exercise proper use of grammar, such as typically acquired in earning a bachelor’s degree, preferably in journalism, or equivalent professional newspaper experience.
* Demonstrate a thorough working knowledge of professional daily news editing and writing, and journalism principles, such as typically acquired through 2 – 5 years of directly related work experience.
* Demonstrate a good knowledge of English spelling and grammar.
* Knowledge of libel laws.
* Demonstrate knowledge of computers and ability to use them, including various content management systems.? Demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of social media, and ability to use them.
* Demonstrate effective and diplomatic oral and written communication skills
Must maintain valid driver’s license, reliable vehicle, company required auto insurance and an acceptable driving record
* Sitting for prolonged periods of time while inputting into and working at computer (making continuous use of near vision)
* Stamina to work varied shifts and extended periods of time at the keyboard. Dexterity to type on a computer
* Mobility to travel to events outside the newspaper office. Communicate by phone and in person
How To Apply:
DO NOT use the Apply Online button. Please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar:
|Camarillo||CA||Competitive||Full Time||Sept. 16, 2012|
- Web site:
- Created On: 08/17/2012 - 02:33 a.m.
- Modified On: 08/17/2012 - 06:14 a.m.