The Associated Press seeks an experienced sports reporter to cover Kentucky from its bureau in Lexington, Ky.
The successful candidate will own and build beats covering college sports, including the high-profile programs at University of Kentucky, Louisville and Western Kentucky, horse racing, and motor sports, among other duties. This reporter will have a proven track record of building reliable sources, breaking news, writing accurate and compelling game copy on deadline, and delivering smart enterprise that shows ownership of a beat, team or sport.
If you are accomplished in setting the agenda for top sports news, have solid relationships and the ability to get the scoop for the AP's global audience, we want you on our team. This opportunity requires speed without sacrificing quality, excellent planning skills and the ability to effectively and efficiently juggle. While the position is text-based, the successful candidate should be aware of the growing demand for content in multiple formats (photos, video, audio) and can work with colleagues to deliver. The use and comfort of integrating social media tools are highly desirable. Experience in reporting on professional teams is also a plus.
The Associated Press is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Candidates must have demonstrated excellence as a beat reporter, and a proven record of developing sources, breaking news, originating story ideas and writing on deadline in a clear and engaging way. Applicants should understand the growing importance of multimedia news and be able to coordinate with AP staffers from other formats. The successful candidates should have at least five years of full-time reporting experience at a daily newspaper, broadcast station or AP bureau.
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
· Ability to recognize and develop newsworthy stories of global interest and work accurately under deadline pressure
· Strong organizational skills with the ability to meet deadlines
· A willingness to work nights and weekends, and to travel to various sports assignments
· Authorization to work in the U.S. is mandatory as is advanced-level professional competency in written and spoken English language.
How To Apply:
DO NOT use the Apply Online button. Please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar:
|Lexington||KY||Competitive||Full Time||July 29, 2012|
- Web site:
- Created On: 06/30/2012 - 03:17 a.m.
- Modified On: 06/30/2012 - 04:56 p.m.