Vertex Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is seeking a Director, Global Medical Affairs Publications to join the Medical Strategy, Education and Publications team in Cambridge, MA. Reporting to the Vice President, the Director of Publications will be responsible for spearheading and overseeing the publication strategies and implementation of related activities.
Responsibilities include leading the strategic planning, development and execution of publication plans according to and in alignment with the Publication Steering Committees’ established goals. This individual will provide leadership and directly manage an internal and/or external team of Therapeutic Area/Program Publication leads, medical writers/consultants and agencies as appropriate.
- Develop and implement the publication strategy for Vertex Therapeutic areas and development programs
- Oversee and direct development and production of all medical and scientific publications (including meeting abstracts, posters, oral presentations and journal publications) via collaboration with internal and external stakeholders and authors,
- Adhere to publications process guidelines
- Supervise internal writers and external agencies for all Publications projects
- Author, review and update Publication policies and/or standard operating procedures
- Establish strong working relationships with key internal stakeholders (Medical Affairs product leads/teams, legal, regulatory, clinical, medical writing) and externally (e.g., consultants, advisors, medical thought leaders, partners)
- Develop and actively manage relationships with journals and publishers
- Develop and apply industry best practice in publication planning, execution and management
- Maintain technical proficiency and professional skills via independent study and continuing education (e.g. conferences, seminars)
- Forecast and actively manage the Publications budget within the Global Medical Affairs overall budget.
- Manage direct reports and oversee/evaluate Publications Team performance
- Provide regular publication status reports to Global Medical Affairs and other cross functional stakeholders
Vertex creates new possibilities in medicine. Our team discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapies so people with serious diseases can lead better lives. Vertex scientists and our collaborators are working on new medicines to cure or significantly advance the treatment of hepatitis C, cystic fibrosis, epilepsy and other life-threatening diseases. Founded more than 20 years ago in Cambridge, MA, we now have ongoing worldwide research programs and sites in the United States, United Kingdom and Canada. Vertex has consistently been recognized as one of the industry's top workplaces by leading publications such as Science Magazine, The Boston Globe, Boston Business Journal, San Diego Business Journal and The Scientist, and most recently was named the top employer in Science magazine's 2011 annual survey.
VERTEX is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, sex, national origin, color, religion, age, disability, veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law.
- A Bachelor’s degree
- 5+ years of Publication experience
- Ability to travel approximately 10-20%
- Advanced scientific degree (PhD, PharmD, or MD)
- Prior experience in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry
- Prior experience in all phases of clinical development and collaboration with medical affairs groups
- Proficient level of understanding in drug development processes and pharmaceutical business
- An in-depth knowledge of ICMJE, good publication practices and journal review/selection
- Demonstrated and significant experience in leading teams and managing large groups
- Ability to write / edit scientific articles, posters and abstracts
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve and work effectively within complex, matrixed organizations
- Strong strategic, planning, communication, negotiation, and organizational skills
- Ability to function with minimal supervision and judgment regarding escalation
-- Embody the Vertex Core Values of Fearless Pursuit of Excellence, Innovation is Our Lifeblood and “We” Wins
- Ability to navigate and be successful in a fast-paced environment
- A desire to be part of a highly innovative company aimed at transforming the lives of people with serious diseases, their families and society
How To Apply:
DO NOT use the Apply Online button. Please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar:
|Cambridge||MA||Competitive||Full Time||July 18, 2012|
- Web site:
- Created On: 06/19/2012 - 12:49 a.m.
- Modified On: 06/19/2012 - 11:05 a.m.