Local Editor, Sacramento Metro, Patch
Patch is hiring Local Editors in the following towns in the Sacramento Metro area: Citrus Heights; Granite Bay; Folsom; La Riviera; Rocklin; Davis
Are you a passionate and entrepreneurial online journalist? Want to be part of a dynamic and innovative team of journalists, engineers, designers and business pros who are creating a bold new solution for our industry? Do you think that traditional news media just don’t get it anymore? Would you like to run your own local news Web site, where you'll tap the multimedia and social media skills you've mastered to transform community journalism and connect with communities?
If you answered "yes" to any of those questions, keep reading …
We’re Patch.com, a start-up that’s radically reinventing community journalism. We launched in February 2009 and we currently operate more than several hundred local news sites in towns with populations under 70,000 and now we're expanding again!
Patch is founded on two core principles: that news matters in towns across the country and that we can create a successful business model to sustain it. Even as many newsrooms have been downsized or shut down, Patch is investing significantly to create news sites to produce meaningful daily and enterprise journalism and pioneer new forms of storytelling to serve our communities using our dynamic platform. We have won acclaim in the industry and coverage in The New York Times, Forbes Magazine, Bloomberg, NPR's "Talk of the Nation," "The News Hour with Jim Lehrer," and numerous industry blogs and Web sites. We've recently also announced Patch.org, a new initiative that will allow us to collaborate with local foundations and journalism schools to cover underserved communities.
Patch.com is looking for smart, innovative journalists to join our team as full-time site editors. We see this as nothing less than the future of online journalism. Visit patch.com to learn more about our mission and to visit our news sites.
Job responsibilities (to include, but not limited to):
• Run a local news site – reporting, writing, taking pictures and video; finding, assigning and editing freelancers and local columnists, and connecting with the community to attract user-generated content
• Provide an invaluable source of trusted news and information that will improve people’s lives.
• Drive your site to become a landmark in the community.
• Work collaboratively with colleagues in a region to produce impactful breaking news, features and enterprise journalism and storytelling, and create new ways to connect with and engage communities
• Collaborate with the business team to build and maintain your town's directory of key officials, organizations and business listings
Competitive salary and benefits package, including 401-K match and performance bonus. Patch Media is an AOL company.
To view all available jobs, please visit: http://www.patch.com/jobs
• Recent community journalism experience
• Ability to manage, direct, and motivate a team of freelancers
• Ability to manage a budget
• "Bull- doggish" reporting instincts and willingness to ask tough questions of important people
• Experience in online journalism
• Experience editing video, producing a Web site and/or excellent photography skills
• Must have a firm grasp of AP style
• Great news judgment
• Adept with a variety of social media tools
• Unparalleled organizational, time management, and interpersonal skills
• Passionate about the web, social networking, and of course community journalism
• Be able to quickly grasp the interests, rhythms and identity of a community
• Thrive in a fast-paced environment
• Entrepreneurial spirit and drive; start up experience a plus
• Ideal candidate will have at least two years of professional reporting experience, as well as college media and internship experience
• Degree in journalism, new media, or similar discipline (graduate degree a plus)
• Must be a flexible, independent, self-starter – you’ll work from home, the coffee shop, your car, the high school football game
• Tools for the job … best of all we will provide them: including a laptop, smart phone, camera, police scanner, etc.
• Must own a car
• Must be willing to relocate if there isn't a site near you
• Ability and willingness to work various hours outside of the typical M-F and 9-5, including evenings and weekends
How To Apply:
DO NOT use the Apply Online button. Please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar:
|Citrus Heights||CA||Competitive||Full Time||Dec. 3, 2010|
Created On: 11/03/2010 - 09:23 p.m.
Modified On: 11/03/2010 - 10:02 p.m.